SOLVED Alert System - Update server could not be reached

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew076

Patron
I have a new system that I am still breaking in before I "fully trust it" so to speak. I got this alert the other day "OK: There is a new update available! Apply it in System -> Update tab." The issue is when I go to updates there are none listed under Apply Pending Updates and when I click on Check Now I get the error "Update sever could not be reached".

I am using FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE so I believe I have the most recent version. But the inability to connect to the update server is concerning and I would like to fix that. Also I would like to clear the alert. Any help would be appreciated.

D

dlavigne

Can you ping an Internet address from the FreeNAS system? If not, add 8.8.8.8 to the Nameserver 1 field of Network -> Global Configuration. Depending upon your network layout, you may also need to add an IPV4 Default Gateway in the same screen.

Andrew076

Patron
Sorry for such a basic question, but are the commands the same from windows to ping from the shell? I assume I would do this from the shell right?

D

dlavigne

Yes, ping command is the same except you need to do ctrl + c to end the ping. Click on Shell in the GUI to open a shell.

Andrew076

Patron
I was able to Ping 8.8.8.8 and I added it to Nameserver 1 still no luck. So now the IPV4 Default Gateway... I have a NETGEAR R6300v2 router and I assigned a "static" (incorrect use but close enough I think) ip address and made sure that the routers (which is acting as a DHCP Server) was out side this range.

D

dlavigne

You'll need to use whatever gateway address your network uses to access the Internet. Make sure the IP on the FreeNAS system is in the same network/subnet to be able to reach and ping the gateway address.

Andrew076

Patron
How do you find out what the gateway address your network uses to access the Internet is?

Andrew076

Patron
On my Router I see the following information:

Under Internet Port
MAC Address
IP Address (10.0.0.9)
Connection: DHCP
IP Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Domain Name Server 75.75.75.75 and 75.75.76.76

When I look at the network properties in windows a computer connected to the same network it has the "Obtain an IP address automatically" checked so I couldn't find it there.

Andrew076

Patron
Figured it out. The IPV4 Default Gateway is the same as the ip you type to get to your router. In my case "192.168.1.1".

Thanks dlavigne for pointing me in the right direction.

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.