After upgrade to 9.3, boot time SIGNIFICANTLY longer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattlach

Patron
Hey all,

Just want to make sure this is all as it is supposed to be, and that something didn't go wrong with my upgrade.

Is it normal for a FreeNAS 9.3 installation to take much longer to boot than previous versions?

It's not a huge concern as mine only boots once or twice a year (though it is a little annoying when doing maintenance), I just want to make sure nothing went wrong in my upgrade process.

Thanks,
Matt

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Haven't noticed anything. If you updated directly, I believe the config is imported, upgraded and then the system reset before it boots into the final environment (on first boot only, of course).

mattlach

Patron
Hmm

Thanks for your input.

Everything appears to work perfectly for me, except that the boot time post upgrade is exceptionally long.

FreeNAS never booted quickly for me to begin with, but now it is rather ridiculous, especially considering its' booting from a rather fast SSD.

It is in a ESXi virtual environment though, which does introduce some variables.

Maybe it doesn't like the emulated LSI Parallel SCSI driver. I might try to switch it to the SAS driver and see how that works.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Hmm

Thanks for your input.

Everything appears to work perfectly for me, except that the boot time post upgrade is exceptionally long.

FreeNAS never booted quickly for me to begin with, but now it is rather ridiculous, especially considering its' booting from a rather fast SSD.

It is in a ESXi virtual environment though, which does introduce some variables.

Maybe it doesn't like the emulated LSI Parallel SCSI driver. I might try to switch it to the SAS driver and see how that works.
You shouldn't be using emulated SAS drivers! That is going to destroy your pool. You need to use passthrough mode for your controller. You can't have any emulation between zfs and your disks.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You shouldn't be using emulated SAS drivers! That is going to destroy your pool. You need to use passthrough mode for your controller. You can't have any emulation between zfs and your disks.

Shhhh. Let him find out what happens since he couldn't be "inconvenienced" with reading our documentation and stickies.

mattlach

Patron

Thank you. I am well aware of that.

My pool is on native hard drives, through two direct I/O forwarded LSI HBA's, which works well, and has been working well for 5 years.

I'm talking about the boot drive. (Thus why I am talking about boot times. My pool has nothing to do with my boot times)

Now granted, in the last release it moved to ZFS as well, which is slightly concerning, but I have the image fully backed up and I am monitoring it.

Shhhh. Let him find out what happens since he couldn't be "inconvenienced" with reading our documentation and stickies.

And yes, I have read all the manuals, documentation and stickies.

I disregarded some of the warnings I don't believe apply to my setup, but otherwise I am well aware of the perceived risks here, and feel fully comfortable with my forwarded controllers.

Status
Not open for further replies.