After new Install no Disk in menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcraul

Cadet
I just installed FreeNAS-8.0-RELEASE-i386 on one drive successfully but I noticed when I log into the GUI locally i do not have an option menu for "disk".
I also noticed during the initial install I did not have an option to partition a disk so I could have Freenas on one partition and Data on another.
Did I miss a step or?

Thanks!

ProtoSD

MVP
That's one of the biggest misunderstandings people have about FreeNAS 8.x, it runs completely from flash & ramdisk. A lot of people are really upset when they learn they can't install it to their hard drive and start installing apps to their hearts content. The other thing that's misunderstood is that the extra space that's available if you choose a larger USB flash drive is not available to use for personal files either. FreeNAS has it's partition sizes preset when it get compiled and there's no way to tell beforehand what size drive it's going to be installed on and if there's going to be freespace. If you're comfortable rebuilding the kernel it can be done, there's a thread about it here in the forums if you search.

mcraul

Cadet
Unfortunately I tried the USB install but when the server rebooted to boot from the USB stick it failed, I tried several of the other ports to see if it would boot from those and it just hung. So I decided to use next older version and that installed fine

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.