Adding multiple disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbraveman

Dabbler
I previously had a machine running freenas ovrt a year ago. It contained 6 ufs disks that were all separate volumes. There was no raid or zfs involved. The computer has been off for a year and I wanted to get it going again and get some files off of it. I did not have the usb thumb drive that had the previous version of freenas so I installed the latest 9.3 version and booted it up.

I went through the wizard 1 time. It would only allow me to import one of the 6 drives that I have in the machine. The others were visible in the view disk menu, but not available in the import disk menu. I chose "automatic" in the pool name option during the first run through with the wizard. It created a cifs share with 1 of the 6 drives and the data was accessable. I then did a "restore to factory default" to try again. I would like to some of the data on the other drives.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Well, 9.3 removed ufs entirely so that's the first issue. Use a lower version number and try again

jbraveman

Dabbler
I was able to import one UFS disk. Did the wizard create a zfs pool from the available space on the other drives and this is why I can not get to the data?

gpsguy

My guess, is that you're seeing the ZFS pool on the flash drive. It's now ZFS rather than UFS.

As pirateghost said, you need to use a version prior to 9.3. You can download older versions from here: http://download.freenas.org/

jbraveman

Dabbler
I tried 9.2 and 9.1 but got a mounting error 19 each time. I tried booting the computer with ubuntu 12... I was able to mount one ufs disk. When I queried the other disks with parted, they were listed as a zfs file system. I never used zfs before.
I did run the wizard as mentioned above and chose "automatic" when it asked me for a pool name. Does that mean zfs is now installed on those drives? Did it wipe my old data in the process?

jbraveman

Dabbler
I got 9.1 working with a different usb stick. However when I try to import volumes I get "The selected disks were not verified for this import rules" when choosing ufs. I've got other backups available, but I'm a bit concerned that the wizard wrecked my data.

danb35

Hall of Famer
If you ran through the wizard and created a new pool, it did exactly what you told it to do--created a ZFS pool on whatever disks you told it to use. The odds that your data is recoverable are negligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.