After Hyper-V issue Bare metal issue is worse

tony95

Contributor
I posted in a thread about network dropping out every 30-40 minutes and got very little help. I tried everything and now I have a completely new box with a bare metal install and after 30-40 minutes it just goes completely offline. Is TrueNAS really this bad, with issues that no one can help me with? This is Ryzen 2700x, I don't see how it could be going to sleep but it is offline and I don't know why

Alecmascot

Guru
Did you do the bios fixes for the Ryzen CPU ?

tony95

Contributor
Just went offline again after 10 minutes. If there are issues this severe with Ryzen it needs to be written into the install so a user will know some settings must be changed but I still don't know what those settings are. I searched and not finding it

Alecmascot

Guru
So I disabled 3 settings in Bios

I disabled C-States, AMD Cool & Quiet and ErP Ready

C-States and Cool & Quiet was in the CPU Features
ErP Ready was under Advanced and Power Management Setup

After disabling these three settings i had no more random hard lockups and the longest uptime I had bevore I added more Harddrives was 34 Days without any Hickups.

Hope this helps you stabalize your system.

LarsR

Guru
c-states is in the cpu section of bios and with my ryzen 1600x i also had to disable amd cool&quiet

Edit: forgot ErP Ready xD

LarsR

Guru
nowhere, i just googled truenas ryzen hard lockups and found the solution in a forum thread of 2017/2018.
FreeBSD's support for ryzen cpu's is not very good...

tony95

Contributor
I just saw it in TrueNAS documentation, but problem is when I go to BIOS I don't see C6 State anywhere, MSI Tomahawk B350 and MSI X470 Gaming Plus. I disabled global C State control, maybe that will help, testing again. Next step is Windows Storage Space, it's terrible but at least it can be written to reliably. I am not getting hard lock up, it is just dropping off the network.

tony95

Contributor
My user is losing permissions, I killed the user and recreated it. Maybe that will help.

LarsR

Guru
Just Disabling global c-state control won't be enough.
Disable AMD Cool & Quiet and ErP Ready.
I played with this a lot when i set up my system and only disabling c-states did not help.

tony95

Contributor
Just Disabling global c-state control won't be enough.
Disable AMD Cool & Quiet and ErP Ready.
I played with this a lot when i set up my system and only disabling c-states did not help.
Cool and quiet was already disabled, I am running an all core overclock so should be pretty stable. So far, recreating my user seems to be working, strange I had restored config from a test system to make sure moving from Hyper V to bare metal would work and it did but I was having to recreate my password to get logged in and now I have recreated the user it seems to be holding.. On my Hyper V system I will look for C States and see if it makes a difference

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Is TrueNAS really this bad, with issues that no one can help me with?

No, your Ryzen is really that bad, with issues that relatively few users here have experience with.

There's a reason that we post lists of compatible hardware that is known to work with FreeNAS. FreeNAS works best with Intel CPU's and real server boards, and as you veer off into non-Intel CPU's and random gaming boards by companies that don't really have any server competency, you end up with boards that are optimized for gamers to be running WIndows on, and which have low FreeBSD compatibility ratings.

It's a harsh reality. The Ryzen stuff is still very new, in the grand scheme of things, and putting it on a gaming board and hoping FreeNAS will work well is not a good path to success, I'm sorry to say.

LarsR

Guru
No, your Ryzen is really that bad, with issues that relatively few users here have experience with.

There's a reason that we post lists of compatible hardware that is known to work with FreeNAS. FreeNAS works best with Intel CPU's and real server boards, and as you veer off into non-Intel CPU's and random gaming boards by companies that don't really have any server competency, you end up with boards that are optimized for gamers to be running WIndows on, and which have low FreeBSD compatibility ratings.

It's a harsh reality. The Ryzen stuff is still very new, in the grand scheme of things, and putting it on a gaming board and hoping FreeNAS will work well is not a good path to success, I'm sorry to say.

Well after the hickups in the beginning my ryzen system is rock solid. No more hard lockups, stable network connections, steady smb performance and my vm's run just fine. But I'm planing to switch to scale when it's released because i hope the hardware compatibility is better with linux under the hood then freebsd.

tony95

Contributor
Only a crap ton of computers are made by AMD, if you can't get FreeBSD stable on Ryzen then there is a serious problem with development there. I can't think of any product that doesn't run on both AMD and Intel. Overclocking is a very good idea, letting the system handle boost can lead to unnecessary high voltages, I would know, because I had a ASRock board blow up at the socket running stock.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Only a crap ton of computers are made by AMD, if you can't get FreeBSD stable on Ryzen then there is a serious problem with development there.

How quickly you gloss over the problems of the OS developer. Look, Ryzen was the first architecture on the market to run a huge number of cores, each with both local cache, and access over a system bus to other cores' cache. Keeping data consistent in cache, with both local and remote CPUs reading and writing at different rates, and with extra latencies introduced by cores ramping up and down in power by ramping up and down their clocks is a non-trivial problem. Even the Linux developers had trouble with it, and they've only just overcome those issues in recent kernels. FreeBSD has a much smaller developer pool and market share, so they're obviously going to take longer to climb that same learning curve.

Unless you've written code and had to support it out in the field, on inadequate fixed budgets and limited manpower, you don't know what you're talking about.