Advice on how to boot my SuperMicroBoard

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevDog

Patron
I've built a headless FreeNAS server using a X11SSL-CF mobo.

I can boot to the IPMI web interface, however this is where I'm running into problems

I've been able to set time and date with NTP, however can I boot to the BIOS through IPMI? I simply have one network cable from the router plugged directly into the IPMI port. Additionally I need to flash my SAS controller to IT mode to remove the RAID capabilities, however I sure am having a hard time having the board remotely mount iso file. I really could use some help.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

KevDog

Patron
Here's what I've tried

Share Host: <IP Address>
Path to Image: I believe this is correct -- here's what I have:\3008_fw_ph12.00.02.00\IT-UEFI.ISO
Is the last case sensitive?? The web interface keeps changes the caps on the path to lower case
User Name : <username>
Password: <password>

I've verified using similar parameters with mount smb on command line.

Lastly with the recommendation
Code:
Please make sure you put the correct path on Path to image. Also make sure Configuration -> Remote Session -> Virtual Media Attach Mode is Auto Attach.

I don't have this option under my configuation menu

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I don't have this option under my configuation menu
maybe it doesn't exist on the X11 series.

I don't know brother. Two things you can do:

1) Get an external USB DVD drive. They're like $30-$40, and they are a necessity in any nerd's parts inventory. Then, install like a man from a CD image.
2) The guys at SuperMicro are actually pretty competent, and willing to take calls. At least two of them can speak English (the shop is 99.11929293% Chinese). Give them a call. 9 times out of 10, one of the actual engineers that makes this stuff will call you back and help you. Or you can figure out how to email them.

KevDog

Patron
Thanks for your help -- I'll think I'll call them. I've written to them before however it usually takes days and their answers aren't always understandable by beginners like me. I'll let you know -- I've wasted a few hours on something that should be so simple.

I've built a headless FreeNAS server using a X11SSL-CF mobo.

I can boot to the IPMI web interface, however this is where I'm running into problems

I've been able to set time and date with NTP, however can I boot to the BIOS through IPMI?
You can boot to BIOS through IPMI. You need to run IPMIVIew on another machine on the network, and open the KVM window. Select "Power ON" in IPMIVIew to boot the board, and then keep pressing and releasing the Delete key. The BIOS appears quite late in the sequence, so be patient and keep pressing that key. I've had problems running IPMIView on OS X, but it works well in Windows running in VMWare Fusion.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Running the ipmiview will allow you to mount an ISO directly. You don't need to point it to any CIFS share or provide credentials or anything. There are 2 ways of mounting an ISO remotely.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Running the ipmiview will allow you to mount an ISO directly. You don't need to point it to any CIFS share or provide credentials or anything. There are 2 ways of mounting an ISO remotely.
This. Much easier and more reliable than the webGUI option.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
This. Much easier and more reliable than the webGUI option.
Still, there's no substitute, in my opinion, for having an external USB CD/DVD thing on the shelf. :) But I am old school.

Status
Not open for further replies.