Advice on best way to run ngrok on TrueNAS Scale (22.12.1)?

billbillw

Dabbler
I'm a home user and primarily use TrueNAS Scale for as a SMB file server, and to run my Plex Server (using the Official App). However, I have an internet service that uses CG-NAT, so I can't port forward. When I'm outside of home, all my Plex feeds go through the Plex relay service, which is slow and drops the quality of the stream significantly.

I would like to use ngrok to give an alternate IP for my Plex Server and hopefully get better quality outside my home. I know I could run ngrok on another PC in the house, but I have also know that you have to reconfigure the settings in Plex every time ngrok restarts/reboots. By putting it on my server, I was hoping to have that happen less frequently since I would not have windows update causing reboots overnight.

So far, I have looked and can't find any Official or TrueChart app for ngrok. I looked further and found a docker (wernight-ngrok), but I am not having luck with that. I have tried repeatedly to get this docker to run, but it is always stuck at Deploying. I created a dataset and user for ngrok, so I really am not sure what the issue is.

Has anyone successfully deployed ngrok on TrueNas Scale? If so, could you share the method/configuration?

Thanks in advance.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

billbillw

Dabbler
I still get stuck on deploying. I was hoping for some help on specific setup of the docker in Scale. What to leave default, what needs to be specifically changed, etc.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I see nobody else has shown interest in responding.

I'm not a user of ngrok, so it's difficult for me to tell you how I run it (as I don't).

If you can give me a clearer indication of what you're doing and the resulting errors/logs, maybe I can help you work it out.

Showing the config of the app and the App Events from the app card when it's trying to deploy would be a start.

billbillw

Dabbler
I see nobody else has shown interest in responding.

I'm not a user of ngrok, so it's difficult for me to tell you how I run it (as I don't).

If you can give me a clearer indication of what you're doing and the resulting errors/logs, maybe I can help you work it out.

Showing the config of the app and the App Events from the app card when it's trying to deploy would be a start.
I'm just trying to get the docker image to deploy so that I can go and configure it.
I have setup a dataset called ngrok, I have a user and group assigned in the credentials to ngrok (user 3001, group 3002).
I have tried several variations on how to setup things in the Launch Docker Image menus. It never goes past Deploying. One issue I might see is that TrueNas Scale doesn't seem to let you change the "Version Number" at the very beginning when you start to setup in the Launch Docker Image. The Docs Hub guide says to enter the version of the application you want (For ngrok it would be 3.1.1?), but it seems stuck on 2212.0.1 which is the default. I think that is screwing up the image pull.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-29 083350.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-03-29 083350.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 260
  • Screenshot 2023-03-29 083922.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-03-29 083922.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 208
  • Screenshot 2023-03-29 084035.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-03-29 084035.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 197

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
So the image repository just needs to be ngrok/ngrok (the rest is assumed/automatically filled).

billbillw

Dabbler
So the image repository just needs to be ngrok/ngrok (the rest is assumed/automatically filled).
That seemed to help, but it is still not deploying.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-29 090339.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-03-29 090339.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 210

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Other than the name of the image to pull/run, what have you specified in the app settings? it's probably something there that's preventing it from starting.

The examples seem to be suggesting the container cmd needs to be something like http 80

I guess without a command, the container just exits.

billbillw

Dabbler
Other than the name of the image to pull/run, what have you specified in the app settings? it's probably something there that's preventing it from starting.

The examples seem to be suggesting the container cmd needs to be something like http 80

I guess without a command, the container just exits.
I have the Networking Host Interface set to bond1, DHCP
Storage Host Path to /mnt/STORAGE1/ngrok
Mount Path to /mnt/STORAGE1/ngrock/data
Then Configure Container User 3001 (which has credentials to the dataset /ngrok) and group 3002 (also has /ngrok credentials).
Everything else is default.
See the dataset permissions below.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-29 094343.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-03-29 094343.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 260

sretalla