Adobe Premiere or DaVinci Resolve render server

Sawtaytoes

Patron
When using TrueNAS SCALE, is it possible to add a container for rendering Adobe Premiere or DaVinci Resolve projects? Or is this something that requires a separate VM?

If it requires a VM, do I need a Windows box or can I use Linux?

I know this is getting a bit outside of the "TrueNAS" realm when we start talking about VMs. I've never set one up before in TrueNAS because I've always had a container available.

donkmeister

Cadet
You'll need the paid for Da Vinci Resolve Studio... £245 in my location so not expensive as video editing software goes but not cheap either. You can use a Linux or Windows VM. You'll need to pass through GPU to make it worthwhile.

Personally, I run the free version of DVR on a Windows box... 10900K, 64GB, RTX3080 and I am quite happy with render times for 4k video - I can't recall the FPS I get but it runs faster than the length of the timeline. My video editing is very basic, so YMMV!

donkmeister

Cadet
Sorry, 11900K.

I'd also say that you can batch up jobs to render when you are not using your workstation, so that's worth considering. I've done that when I want to render multiple versions of the same timeline and it works very well. DVR is definitely up there with TrueNAS in terms of free software that is worth a fortune

I love virtualisation but this is one of those jobs where, unless you are a pro, it's probably worth keeping on your workstation and spending a bit more on that rather than building an epicly fast TrueNAS box.

Last edited: