Admin account problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimMonroe

Cadet
Hi,

I'm a NOOB when it comes to networking and setting up a file server but I've managed to learn enough about FreeNAS to get it configured more as less as I'd like. I've spent a lot of time learning permissions (CIFS shares, it's a Windows only network) and setting up a home file server that allows different family members differing levels of access to various shares. Just when everything seemed to be working properly I ran into a new problem that has me stumped. I have an admin account ("Admin") that matches my admin account on the PC I use to configure FreeNAS and which has (had) full access to all shares. I'm not sure what changed but now when I try to rename folders or delete files on the shares that had restricted permissions (only Admin has those permissions) I get a message "You require permission from FREENAS\Admin to make changes to this file". This happens when I am logged in to the admin account on the PC so as far as I know I am attempting to do this as FREENAS\Admin! It was working earlier today so I must have done something to screw things up but I'm stumped as to what it might be. The primary group for the admin user is wheel and the problematic shares are configured with admin as the owner and my family group as the group owner. I've tried rebooting the PC and FreeNAS box and I've deleted and recreated the Admin user account with what I understand to be the correct settings (and which I think were the ones that were working previously). The only clue I have is that I'd swear that the CIFS settings changed from earlier today - things like "local master" and "time server for domain" that were unchecked somehow became checked around the same time that the problem began. Not sure if that helps or not...

This is a total noob question but a quick google/forum search didn't yield much help - how would I go about determining what FreeNAS perceives as the access attempt when I'm trying to delete/rename using my PC admin account? Is there a log I can check?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

D

dlavigne

Did you ever figure this out? If not, which version of FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.