Two things: getting PS3 to see FreeNAS server and help with perms on user acounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

robc

Cadet
Hi there,
just set up my first freenas server and getting on okay. I have a couple of issues though. Can someone walk me through how to have one admin account for me with all access and another guest account with read and execute perms but no write perms, when i try and do this the perms on the other user keep changing when i change the admin account i made.

Also can someone tell me how to allow my ps3 to see the nas server as a media server, do i need to enable a specific control service?

Thanks a lot guys :)

Michael B

Cadet
I'm new to FreeNas, but I did get MiniDLNA to serve media to my PS3. MiniDLNA is a plugin that runs inside a jail. You'll need to read up on Jails in the user manual and figure out how they work.

I'm using version 8.3.1

You download the Jail plugin first:
In my case, it was this:
FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-p2-x64.Plugins_Jail.pbi

Install it according to the user manual. You'll need to create two datasets, one for the jail and one for a plugin archive.

After you get the jail installed, you can install the minidlna-1.0.24_1-amd64.pbi plugin, or whatever version is appropriate for your system.

You'll probably want to setup your mount points, so minidlna can access your media files from within the jail.

Also, there is an issue with Minidlna not automatically rescanning for newly added media. I used a workaround by installing a cron job within the jail that restarted minidlna.

Got to go now ... family matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.