Adding a vdev to a pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fritzolio

Explorer
Are there any best practices when adding vdevs to an established pool? Does adding vdevs affect the redundancy of the existing vdev?

I searched but couldn't find the answers. A link to the pertinent info would be lovely.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
I recommend to read Cyberjock's ZFS Guide (link is in my signature) ;)

But in short you should use the same RAID type as the vdev(s) already in the pool (if you use RAID-Z2 then the new vdev should be RAID-Z2 too) with the same number of drives. However you can use drives of a different size from the size of the drives already in the pool (for example 6 TB for the new drives when there's 4 TB in the pool).

It doesn't affect the redundancy (reliability is a better word here I guess) of the first vdev but it lower a bit the reliability of the pool (of course as you add things there's more things than can die than before), however you shouldn't be worried about that, it's marginal.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
you should use the same RAID type as the vdev(s) already in the pool
Really? Why should that be? In principle this is not necessary, right?

Bidule0hm

No, but it's recommended.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast

Bidule0hm

Because if you put a mirror with a RAID-Z2 for example the mirror will kill the reliability relatively to the RAID-Z2. I suspect there's also deeper ZFS concerns about doing that, maybe @cyberjock can enlight us on this.

@BigDave lawl :D

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Oh well, I assume that the person putting in the second vdev into the same pool already understands those exigencies; i.e., that their pool integrity is capped at the minimal integrity in any given vdev.

But other than that?

I'm not testing him. I thought we might be talking about something I didn't know, so I'm seeking enlightenment.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I was just trying to be funny about the testing thing, sorry :oops:
What little I know about Vdev performance (it's very little)
is basically a read the same way as you've written kinda thing.
I'm sure I'm gonna get schooled here, cause this is a wag ;)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I got *THAT* part sir. I am asking WHY it's recommended.
Cyberjock made a cryptic comment the other day about not mixing RAIDZ levels and/or mirrors.

I'm still hoping for a followup on that... I don't really see why it would matter, reliability issues and silly mixtures aside.

Status
Not open for further replies.