BUILD adaptec controller raid 5 or ZFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

swbartley

Explorer
I'm putting together my first real NAS I have an adaptec RAID 16-Port ASR 51245 which I want to use with some WD red drives in raid 5, yes all 16!!! However I need some recommendations/assistance I keep reading articles and conflicting post that to get the fullest potential out of ZFS it is recommended not to be used with a controller card. However my alternative is an ASrock server MB with 12 SATA ports and not use the card. This is for home use but I will store tons of music, stream with plex, back up multiple computers and use owncloud for my office. I have lost plenty of stuff over the years and I want to minimize my potential loss as much as possible so I need the best solution with redundancy to protect my data. I do know about the ECC RAM which I will get based on the MB selected.

Thanks in advance

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Just don't use the RAID card.. I explained this twice yesterday. If you want an explanation go find the threads from yesterday.

If you are seriously considering a RAIDZ1 of 16 disks you'd better have backups.

Status
Not open for further replies.