ad1: FAILURE - please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

weeket007

Cadet
Dear all,

I am a bit lost with waht to do next... I build a few Nas in the past to act as media servers and so on. My first one built years ago.. (2007 maybe) is not booting really booting properly and I get the error below:

ad1: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=40<UNCORRECTABLE> LBA=1864

my setup is as follow,
3 hard disk,
Ad1 is the "system"
Ad2 and 3 is for my data...

Am i right ot assume with the error above that Only ad1 is affected and that I might be able to recover the data out of ad2/ad3?

if yes, would anyone be able to help ? I am really sorry, I probably ask for quite a lot here I know?

Can i fix the bad sector on Ad1 which will let the system boot properly.

basically when the system boots up i get all the way through to the freenas pictures and then, if i press a key, it goes to dos and show all things that i don't understand really. full message is below:

ad1: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=40<UNCORRECTABLE> LBA=1864
+g_vfs_done():ad1s1d[READ(offset=6074368, length=4096)]error = 5

XML error: No freenas object found!

+g_vfs_done():ad1s1d[READ(offset=6074368, length=4096)]error = 5

I/O error: Input/output error
etc...

Any idea if i can recover?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You've got a hard error on ad1. You sure ad1 is the system? If so, it's probably having troubles loading some bit of FreeNAS itself, based on the location. Your data is most likely safe and recoverable as long as you are careful.

Do you know what you set up for storage on ad2/ad3? Mirrored? Striped? Just plain old filesystems? Depending on what you did, it might be easiest to attach the disks to a fresh install and carefully mount the filesystems for recovery.

ATA drives are largely stupid and exceedingly frustrating in many ways. The manufacturer may provide a tool that will allow you to "repair" a bad sector, but that may still leave you with a system that won't boot if there was needed information on that block.

Status
Not open for further replies.