Accidentally extended volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

spg900ny

Dabbler
So I guess I was tired or something, but I just finished moving all my data off a failing zpool over to a new 4TB drive. I had another new 4TB drive I was going to mirror to, and somehow I accidentally extended the pool instead. So now I have a nice ~7TB pool with two potential points of failure instead of a protected, mirrored volume.

I haven't written any new data. Is there any recovering from this or do I need to buy yet another 4TB drive to move everything to, destroy the volume, then re-create as intended?

gpsguy

Sorry, but you will have to back up the data, recreate your pool, and restore your data.

spg900ny

Dabbler
Ugh. That's what I was afraid of. I just spent a whole weekend doing this and was hoping to be done with it. Thanks.

danb35

Hall of Famer
So you were trying to add a mirror disk through the GUI? That's your problem--you just can't do that. It is possible to do it through the CLI, but not through the GUI at this time.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So you were trying to add a mirror disk through the GUI? That's your problem--you just can't do that. It is possible to do it through the CLI, but not through the GUI at this time.

You sure can add a mirror. That's what the manual setup options are for in the ZFS volume manager. :P

In fact, situations like this are *exactly* why us more advanced users got out the pitchforks and torches when the new ZFS volume manager limited our ability to do weird things.

danb35

Hall of Famer
So you're saying I can have a single-disk pool, and then later add a second disk as a mirror of the first one using the web GUI? How? I just tried it in a VM under 9.3.1, and wasn't able to make this happen. I created a single-disk pool, went back to the volume manager, clicked Manual Setup, chose my pool under "volume to extend", and selected one disk from the "member disks" list. I wasn't given any options about how it would be added to the existing pool, and when I clicked "add volume", it was added as a stripe (so the resulting pool was a two-disk stripe, not a two-disk mirror).

I recall hearing that this feature was supposed to be coming with 9.3, but then it got pulled before release.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Ahh.. I reread the thread. I thought you were asking how to add a mirrored vdev. Not change a vdev of a single disk to a mirrored vdev.

Sorry. You can ignore what I said above. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.