Accidentally checked "apply permissions recursively" on my Storage

DD4711

Contributor
Hello,

damn, I just wanted to check some permissions and accidentally checked "apply permissions recursively" on my Storage (root folder). Apply user set to root, apply group to wheel, R/W/E to User and Group. Currently system is still executing this permission change.

For my personal files and documents, music and so on there is no big problem because I can set them back to the old ones.

But for my iocage and other administrative folder on the storage the permissions are damaged, right? There will be nothing to "recover" or correct my stupidness?!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Do you have snapshots configured? You could roll back to before if you do.

DD4711

Contributor
Yes I do have but they are little old. I configured a lot on my system last days. Maybe I reinstall my jails... But a snapshot restore would be a good test ;) Need to think about it little bit

DD4711

Contributor
I'll recreate the jails with my current data. It will be fastest. Thanks for your help :)

Kamol

Cadet
Hello,
I did the same thing as OP, but without snapshots. Is there a way to recover my data?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hello,
I did the same thing as OP, but without snapshots. Is there a way to recover my data?
Was this on 11.3 or 11.2? In 11.3 we put rigid safeguards to prevent recursive permissions changes at the root of the pool for this reason. Permissions changes do not remove data, but you may have to re-create your jails (you might be able to use mtree to fix some of the permissions issues, but it's probably easier to just start over). Permissions changes in 11.3 by default won't affect child datasets (to once again reduce the potential damage by a "happy-click").

Kamol

Cadet
Thanks for a quick reply. It's 11.3, could you point me to tutorials or walkthroughs how to recreate jails. What do you mean "start over"? I am greener than over the fence grass at FreeNAS, I don't even know what to look for..