Accesss NRPE@jail from the Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irina Liakh

Cadet
Hello everyone!

I have NRPE daemon installed and running on a jail, and I need to access it from the Internet. Since there is no dedicated router that can do port forwarding for the jail, I suppose I need port forwarding on the FreeNAS itself. I tried these ipfw rules:

ipfw show:
00110 18 3772 nat 110 tcp from any to $NAS_IP dst-port 5666
00111 28 7776 nat 110 tcp from $JAIL_IP 5666 to any

ipfw nat show config:
ipfw nat 110 config log redirect_addr $JAIL_IP $NAS_IP

(NAS_IP is a public IP address and JAIL_IP is a private IP address).

All is working fine but there is a problem: how to keep these ipfw rules through FreeNAS reboot and through the jail restart?

The more general question is: what is the most legitime way to set up NRPE on FreeNAS visible from the Internet while there is no any router to portforward to the jail private IP, and there is no additional public IP?

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

how to keep these ipfw rules through FreeNAS reboot and through the jail restart?

The more general question is: what is the most legitime way to set up NRPE on FreeNAS visible from the Internet while there is no any router to portforward to the jail private IP, and there is no additional public IP?

There isn't as FreeNAS is not designed to do this and this is considered to be an unsupported scenario.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You don't have a router?

And your FreeNAS is directly attached to the Internet?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Thank you! Will use a workaround.

Direct attach implies a router as well ;)
Of course, there is a router ahead, but it does not imply customizing such as port forwarding.
Then how do you access your FreeNAS over the internet?

If you are natted, you have to forward a port to get to a service.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Because presumably you don't want @Russian Mafia pwning your system. FreeNAS is not designed or hardened to be directly exposed to the Internet, and should only be used behind a firewall.

Irina Liakh

Cadet
danb35, thank you for your attention.
Direct access (as opposed to NATted access) does not automatically imply that there is no any firewall ahead.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You're going to have to provide a whole lot more details as to your network layout. You're being very vague on your setup.

Irina Liakh

Cadet
Already figured out (see the very first reply on the starttopic).
Wonder why you were asking all your questions.

Irina Liakh

Cadet
It was to determine if there was a better option available to you.
Thank you! But I mentioned that there is no way to configure NAT on routers. There is no way to modify net topology either. Sorry if it was not clear at once.
So the only place I can affect is the FreeNAS itself, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.