Accessing dataset folder from Ubuntu in a virtualbox jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

zargon

Cadet
I'm running FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201506292332 and I've installed Ubuntu 64bit in a Vbox jail for the purpose of running DVBLink. It's all working fine except that I want to store all the tv recordings on an existing dataset I've created. What would be the best way to get the ubuntu OS access to that dataset.

I have tried the following with no success:
Added a subfolder of the data set to the vbox jail as storage and then tried to use the vbox shared folders feature to mount that for access by ubuntu.

Thanks in advance

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The only option that comes to my mind that doesn't involve virtualbox's somewhat finicky guest additions and host support for folder sharing is to mount the share over the "network" within the Ubuntu VM.

brando56894

Wizard
NFS would probably be your best bet: share your dataset out from FreeNAS over NFS and mount it in the Ubuntu VM. Problem solved :)

zargon

Cadet
Thanks for the replies. I'm having trouble with the CIFS sharing and the whole asking for credentials from Windows. I know i dont really need CIFS access but it's always handing for checking stuff from windows. I'll give the NFS option a go and perhaps share out CIFS from the VM for windows access.

Thanks

brando56894

Wizard
Yea Linux to Windows sharing is always a major pain in the ass, make sure that your windows user has a password and create that same user on your NAS and it should work. The easiest way to go about it is to only allow guest access but give the guest account r/w access, but obviously that isn't good if you want it to be secure.

Status
Not open for further replies.