A solution to backup data outside network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler

adrianwi

Guru
I've been wondering about this too, as I currently have 2 FreeNAS machines sat under my desk so am pretty comfortable with my data (which exist on both, and at least one other) unless there is a fire or someone breaks in an manages to take away all my machines.

FreeNAS1 replicates to FreeNAS2 overnight and I was wondering how easy it would be to move FreeNAS2 to a friends house and simply change the destination IP on the Replication Tasks. Would things just carry on replicating without any more changes, other than some port forwarding on my friends network?

rogerh

Guru
I've been wondering about this too, as I currently have 2 FreeNAS machines sat under my desk so am pretty comfortable with my data (which exist on both, and at least one other) unless there is a fire or someone breaks in an manages to take away all my machines.

FreeNAS1 replicates to FreeNAS2 overnight and I was wondering how easy it would be to move FreeNAS2 to a friends house and simply change the destination IP on the Replication Tasks. Would things just carry on replicating without any more changes, other than some port forwarding on my friends network?
I changed the IP of my replication destination and it just carried on irregardless. Admittedly it was 9.3-STABLE and replication has been rewritten since, and admittedly it was another local subnet, but it did work.

DaveFL

Explorer
I see nothing obviously wrong with running Arq on a virtual client to backup a network share to the cloud, but nor do I have personal experience to draw on.

It is. Most cloud storage is a race to the bottom, so rsync.net stands out from the crowd.

The part that I'm trying to wrap my head around is that there is zero encryption in this case. I don't know how I feel about that. I suppose one could just be pro active and put all sensitive content on an alternate zfs mount and use some other method for those files.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
The part that I'm trying to wrap my head around is that there is zero encryption in this case.
The transfer would be encrypted, and the storage is HIPAA and Sarbanes-Oxley compliant, so I wouldn't be too concerned. They also maintain a warrant canary.

Status
Not open for further replies.