9.3 to 9.10 jail and pluigin changes, what do I need to fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Is there a guide on what needs to be done?
I upgraded from 9.3 to 9.10 about 3 months ago and it went well, I was surprised - but I haven't needed to mess with my jails at ALL

Well, I'm about to go to 16GB memory finally and I'd like to work on some more jails.
If I just try and install a new plugin will it break just the new jail or all the other ones? I heard it can be a real nightmare, multiple times.

Any ideas, I'm hesitant to even try

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
If you just want to use your current jails there is nothing to do. If you want to create a new jail you need to delete all your old jails including the jails dataset. Then you can use the plugins to create new jails that work with freenas 9.10

diskdiddler

Wizard
Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Seriously?
?

Like all my jails? removed entirely? I can't back them up somehow and import or what?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I haven't had to delete all my jails to have the ability to add new ones...what the hell you smokin?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I haven't had to delete all my jails to have the ability to add new ones...what the hell you smokin?
huh, maybe i am smoking something. let me check. I have been getting stuff wrong lately and should probably start to keep my mouth shut.

diskdiddler

Wizard
I do recall hearing something similar at least to what you said, like all kinds of disaster with the jails.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
There was talk when 9.10 first came out that jails were just broken. It was suggested to delete all your jails and start over but if you kept your jails, you would be on a hybrid of 9.3/10.0 freebsd version in the jails.

I kept mine and except for the brief period between updates when I couldn't get any networking in some of my jails, they have been working fine and I have created a couple since then.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
So i can confirm that this still happens when upgrading from 9.3 to 9.10.1. I tested by creating a plex plugin and standard jail under 9.3 then upgraded. Below you can see the error happens in the plex jail but strangely not in the standard jail.

Code:
root@plexmediaserver_1:/ # sockstat -l                                        
sockstat: struct xtcpcb size mismatch
root@plexmediaserver_1:/ # uname -a                                            
FreeBSD plexmediaserver_1 10.3-STABLE FreeBSD 10.3-STABLE #0 r295946=5327704(9.1
0-STABLE): Wed Aug  3 12:13:26 PDT 2016     root@build.ixsystems.com:/tank/home/
nightlies/build-freenas9/_BE/objs/tank/home/nightlies/build-freenas9/_BE/os/sys/
FreeNAS.amd64  amd64    

Code:
root@jail3:/ # sockstat -l                                                    
USER     COMMAND    PID   FD PROTO  LOCAL ADDRESS         FOREIGN ADDRESS      
root     syslogd    4324  4  dgram  /var/run/log                              
root     syslogd    4324  5  dgram  /var/run/logpriv                          
root     syslogd    4324  6  udp6   *:514                 *:*                  
root     syslogd    4324  7  udp4   *:514                 *:*                  
root@jail3:/ # uname -a                                                        
FreeBSD jail3 10.3-STABLE FreeBSD 10.3-STABLE #0 r295946=5327704(9.10-STABLE): W
ed Aug  3 12:13:26 PDT 2016     root@build.ixsystems.com:/tank/home/nightlies/bu
ild-freenas9/_BE/objs/tank/home/nightlies/build-freenas9/_BE/os/sys/FreeNAS.amd6
4  amd64                                 

I then went on to create a new standard jail under the new 9.10 install and it downloaded the new freenas-standard-10.3-RELEASE.tgz for the jail which seems to work very good. Still working through some random testing.

diskdiddler

Wizard
There was talk when 9.10 first came out that jails were just broken. It was suggested to delete all your jails and start over but if you kept your jails, you would be on a hybrid of 9.3/10.0 freebsd version in the jails.

I kept mine and except for the brief period between updates when I couldn't get any networking in some of my jails, they have been working fine and I have created a couple since then.
Mine continued to work without any problems at all, but I have not in any way tried to make a new one. I heard you needed to update some kind of template repository or something (why the upgrade process doesn't do this, I don't know)

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I just upgraded from 9.3.1 to 9.10.1 two weeks ago. All my jails continued to function correctly after the update. But being I wanted an up to date base OS for a few of the jails I decided to rebuild them. The 10.3 template downloaded and installed correctly and I've rebuilt all my jails except for one 9.3 plugin that is still running. They are all functioning correctly and I am able to update all of them.

It was a bit of a mess when 9.10 first came out but obviously has been corrected since. I wouldn't be worried about updating at this point but of course YMMV and make sure you have backups before you do just in case it goes sideways.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Can I ask why you wanted to update the baseOS for them? What difference does it actually make?

diskdiddler

Wizard
Also anyone know if I should use a plugin to install Plex or go the manual route and create a whole new jail manually? I found some of the plugins would not be updated too frequently or would break

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Can I ask why you wanted to update the baseOS for them? What difference does it actually make?
They are internet facing so I wanted them up to date. FreeBSD 9.3 reaches EOL 12-31-16.

I found some of the plugins would not be updated too frequently or would break
I think you may have answered your own question.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Plex is pretty darn easy to install in a clean jail-- pkg install plexmediaserver followed by sysrc plexmediaserver_enable=YES and service plexmediaserver start.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Thanks fellas, when I was a complete FreeNAS newbie the fact the plugins didn't regularly update was mildly annoying and the fact the plugin update process broke my jail / plugins a few times was quite annoying.

At least I'm used to it now. I look forward to this FreeNAS 10 docker thing.
I'll follow a manual plex install guide (although those instructions look pretty simple, thanks dan)

diskdiddler

Wizard
Can I confirm a jail should NOT be able to crash the entire machine right? The jail could die but the host box shouldn't just randomly reboot?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I've never seen a jail take the host OS down, but I suppose it would be possible if you were doing some crazy stuff.

Installing Plex should not bring the host OS down at all.

diskdiddler

Wizard
No it's media scanning. I just added 8 more GB (16GB total) and it completely rebooted the machine. I tried with my original 8GB, same issue.
Plex really slaps my HDDs, CPU and memory when scanning and I can't deny I'm close to the PSU limit of my machine but it's been otherwise 100% stable.

I'm going to do some testing in a VM and remotely scan my plex library.
How on earth (sorry?) can I get a FreeNAS 9.10 VM to map my actual FreeNAS box over the network (specifically for Plex)?

Status
Not open for further replies.