9.3 running on supermicro, plex crashed gui

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm checking out 9.3 and I wanted to check out installing plexmedia server.

The first problem was that the list was broken. I don't recall what I did however but saved default settings or something and then the list worked.

The next issue was while installing plex server, the ssh connection suddenly went dead and so did the gui.
I can no longer reach the server via either nor does it ping.

However, while all this is going on, I have an esx vm being imported into an iSCSI share on that same server and it doesn't seem to have died.

My only thought at this point is once the vm is done importing, I guess I'll have to reboot the server.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I don't really see a bug report here. Just some errors that happened, with no logs or ways to reproduce....

How are your jails configured? Did you try giving your plex plugin the same IP as your server?

I have never seen the list of plugins broken. Did you verify your network settings are correct?

These issues actually sound like a networking error, not a bug with FreeNAS, but please feel free to submit some logs.

Not a network issue at all and far from 'just some errors' when the whole server becomes inaccessible.

As I said, I started installing the plex media server and networking died. Never got to setting anything up for it.
Had I been experiencing network issues, I could not have been on the GUI installing the plugin. I also said I didn't have any jails configured yet, and as for your never seeing such an error, I submit the following.

https://bugs.pcbsd.org/issues/9227

Anyhow, this is Linux, there are still logs if anyone wants to see them, just let me know what you want me to search for.

It is nix* then, sorry :).
Anyhow, sooo yeah isn't much of a helpful answer. The point is the same, there are logs.

I took the time to post this because it happened, not because I messed with something and made it go boom.
The system was running fine up until that point.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Those are YOUR logs you posted a link to on the bugtracker?

Because it looks to me like a different error than what you have described.

What are your system specs (per the forum rules)?

I just started with freenas so excuse me if I don't know all your rules yet.
I've never posted logs and as I said in my first post, just checking out freenas.

Hardware wize...

FreeNAS 9.3 64-bit

MB SuperMicro (No idea, purchased machines as whole, Pivot3 CD-B units)
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5520 @ 2.27GHz (2261.05-MHz K8-class CPU)
12GB memory - Kingston KVR1333D3D8R9S/2G
12 x Western Digital WD1002FBYS
4 built in NICs - First configured only one, currently configured LACP plus switch

BTW, it's installed in a rack headless so can't see console. However, it seems to be related to the LACP setup.
I'll try installing the plex package without LACP enabled and see what happens.

Last edited:
I'm not convinced it's network related but LACP seems to be the culprit at the moment. Doesn't answer why it was working perfectly for days then suddenly this when I tried installing the plex server. I'll do some more testing.

>and bingo

Thanks for the wonderfully friendly welcome :)

LACP was a problem, which I'll solve later but the plugins are still acting up.
I have dns entries in /etc/resolv.conf, can ping and resolve domain names, everyting networking works as it should.
Nothing is blocked since I can ping/resolve, reach anything I need to even using curl.

Now I see the plex media server installed but it take something like a minute for it to show in the Installed list.
In the plugins repo url, I have; http://download.freenas.org/plugins/9/x64/pbi-meta/pbi-repo.rpo, yet, trying to get a list of plugins from the Plugins tab leads to nothing listed.

Something is still broken and I doubt it's anything I've done since I've not done much with the server yet.
Anyhow, guess I'll post this somewhere else since this seems to be the wrong place for it :)

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
These issues actually sound like a networking error, not a bug with FreeNAS, but please feel free to submit some logs.
This^ clearly a networking problem. Op do a factory reset or remove every networking setting you touched then see if it works. Networking should just work out of the box so every modification made to it would be hurting your setup.

Some other tests you can run include ping the server and from the server ping the gateway and another host on the network. I suspect you will have high latencies and packet loss.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I mentioned above that networking is fine, no serious latency, I can ping and resolve domain names reach sites locally and externally.
Latency is fine.

[root@freenas] ~# ping 192.168.1.1
PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=1.671 ms

[root@freenas] ~# ping 172.16.30.93
PING 172.16.30.93 (172.16.30.93): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 172.16.30.93: icmp_seq=0 ttl=63 time=0.449 ms

[root@freenas] ~# ping 10.0.0.214
PING 10.0.0.214 (10.0.0.214): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 10.0.0.214: icmp_seq=0 ttl=59 time=0.896 ms

Maybe download.freenas.org simply doesn't respond to icmp.

In terms of making network changes, a full reset, the only thing I wanted to test was LACP, which worked fine until I installed the plugin.
Once I lost access, I took LACP away and went back to separate nics and the server is once again accessible, everything works but the problems with plugins remain

However, since I was told this isn't a 'bug', I've posted this part in the help and support area.

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Can you create a jail?

I'm new to freenas so don't know much about jaisl yet. My understanding is that they are used to isolate non standard functions/addons and their storage.
Yes, I am able to create a jail. I just created one called test.

We might want to move to the other thread. I'm ending up posting duplicate information now :)
While it doesn't answer why the plugins tab showed errors when I first tried checking it, at this point, I've posted details showing that I can't even ping the download site yet can ping others.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.