9.2.1.9 to 11.1 if it isn't broke........

Status
Not open for further replies.
have been using 9.2.1.9 on a 8GB USB as a file server only for the past couple of years. i have downloaded the 11.1 iso but as i am a 'if it isn't broke don't fix it' person am having second thoughts about updating.

can i do a straight forward update with my version of freenas via the GUI?
Is the 8GB USB with 9.2.1.9 installed enough space for the upgrade to 11.1?
Any good reasons to/not upgrade?

appreciate any advice

joeschmuck

Old Man
Any good reasons to/not upgrade?
but as i am a 'if it isn't broke don't fix it' person
Answered your own question.

If you want to upgrade that is fine, you will find some security updates of course but if your system isn't on the open internet then that is not a major reason. Since you have waited this long then you might want to wait until FreeNAS 11.1-U1 comes out to fix the current bugs people have found.

can i do a straight forward update with my version of freenas via the GUI?
My advice is to make a backup of your configuration file first and then grab a new USB Flash Drive and install 11.1 to it. Then import your configuration file. I think you can upgrade straight however many people have done and upgrade using USB flash media and it's failed. I don't know the cause and I can't say that you would have the same issue but to prevent that from happening, use a new USB flash drive and install the iso to it then restore the config file. If things don't work out then you can always put your original flash drive back in.

One thing I would caution you on is to not update your pool. An Alert will occur when you upgrade FreeNAS and you want to change the check box for that alert when it appears. This will allow you to roll back to 9.2.1.9 if you desire. If you upgrade your pool then you will not be able to roll back.

Hope this helps some.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
No.

panz

Guru
I'm into the same situation, so I was considering updating the system from FreeNAS-9.2.1.9-RELEASE-x64 (2bbba09) --> 11.1
The first problem I should deal with is the IBM M1015 controller: to switch from 9.2 --> I should update the firmware; doing this, in the event of a rollback to 9.2, the "downgrade" should be a little tricky.

Moreover, I don't know if the backup file generated by FreeNAS-9.2.1.9 would be considered "good" by the 11.1 version or if it's going to be a mess :)

joeschmuck

Old Man
I have an opinion I'd like to share.

Since you have 9.2 still running and are happy with it and just want to upgrade, the question is, do you want to also upgrade any jails/plugins that you have an possibly be forced into rebuilding them completely? I know there should be an upgrade path but rarely does everything upgrade as expected.

If you just want to upgrade to get the latest 11.1 and keep your jails then I'd wait until 11.1-U1 comes out since you have waited this long.
If you have plans to upgrade to 11.2 this year then I'd suggest you wait until 11.2-U1 plus 1 month to see what bugs crawl out.

You already know there will be firmware changes to your hardware too so I could also see you upgrading to 11.0-U4, making sure everything is working fine, then waiting for 11.2-U1 before making another major change.

You are a smart individual, I'm sure you will pick your poison with care.

Status
Not open for further replies.