8.2 BETA hangs after a few minutes - after accessing from WebUI

Status
Not open for further replies.

venkavis

Explorer
I am new to FreeNAS and my colleagues successfully talked me into FreeNAS. I have a Windows Home Server and off late very unhappy with the performance.

Yesterday I bought the following Hardwares
ASUS M5A88-M Motherboard, AMD Fx4100 Processor, Corsair 8MB RAM, 3TB Seagate Barraccuda, Antec Sonata Proto and Eco650 Powersupply.

I downloaded the 8.2 BETA image and wrote to a lexar USB drive and booted the machine.

Below are the # of time I had to reboot.

1. Started and showed me the IP address to login for the Webui. Did via chrome and then screens were blank with no data. Came back to the machine and he console was 'Hanged'. So I restarted the machine
2. Restarted again. Opened browser from another machine and this time could see the web page and saw the alert flash. Change the password for admin. After refresh UI didn't work. Went to NAS server and again the Console was 'Hanged'. Restarted.
3. This time after restart, webUI started to show all the system graphs etc. Happy. Tried to create a volume. 5 minutes and no response.

I restarted again and the same issue.

I am scared to restart anymore. The System is 'Hanged' in the console.

Am I doing anything wrong. How do I see logs in the console? Is there any issues with Hardware?

Kindly point me to how I can start troubleshooting. Or Do I have to go to a stable version of Free NAS?

Thanks
Venkat V

ProtoSD

MVP
If you plan to use FreeNAS 8.2 for anything other than testing / playing, don't use it. It's still beta and isn't ready for production use or even personal use. Start with 8.0.4 and then wait for 8.2 RELEASE.

BobCochran

Contributor
Yeah, if you are new to it all (and I still consider myself very new to FreeNAS), you should use the 8.0.4 release software, not the beta. No one expects you to use the beta software at this time.

Bob

venkavis

Explorer
Thank you all. I expected to play around with it for a while thinking I it will work like other Beta's before moving over. But I am wrong. I will start with 8.0.4 and then upgrade to 8.2 when its ready.

~Venkat V

Status
Not open for further replies.