8.0.4beta1 bug - Hot Spare does not get used to resilver after disk failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbmcg

Explorer
Hi there,

I habe a zfs raidz + hotspare disk set up in vmware and have killed one drive.
the volume gets degraded, the hotpare is not automatically used to rebuild the drive.

When pulling the disk, the system does not recognize in the ui, thar the volume is degraded
only in the console there was a missing disk message, the status remains green, logoff / logon /
refresh does not change the the status. When looking in the disk details of the volume
however the disk is marked missing, and the hotspare is still hotspare.

After a reboot of the nas, the ui shows correctly the volume as degraded.
Replace Disk does not work, and sthe system does not heal automatically - the hotspare
is not used and there is no way to force the volume to use the hotspare and rebuild
redundancy. Hope this helps.

I have upgraded the system from 8.0.3 release, running on i386, boot from ISO and select upgrade.

Upgrade via package and Web-UI does not work too - just hangs 4ever.

Hope this helps - btw Great work so far !

xbmcg

Explorer
O.K. what does this mean?
Does it say, a hotspare is nonsense in zfs. Is it better to have a unconfigured Disk on the system?
Is there a way the system can recover from a single drive failure whithout user interaction?

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Yes, in FreeBSD 8.2 or FreeNAS 8.0.x hotspare is non-sense.
And no, recover of disk failures need user interaction...

The roadmap for this being fixed is FreeBSD 8.3 and FreeNAS 8.3, I think.

G

gcooper

Yes, in FreeBSD 8.2 or FreeNAS 8.0.x hotspare is non-sense.
And no, recover of disk failures need user interaction...

The roadmap for this being fixed is FreeBSD 8.3 and FreeNAS 8.3, I think.

As discussed offline, this statement isn't necessarily true because it's non-trivial support that's missing from the FreeBSD ZFS port, which will be available in later versions of FreeBSD. Please look at http://support.freenas.org/ticket/1066 for more details.

xbmcg

Explorer
Thank you. Ist there an overview of the limitations of zfs on freeBSD compared to the Sun zfs implementation.
I have print out the zfs manual and there is everything about redundancy, recovery, troubleshooting,
spare disk handling, auto-resilvering of failed drives etc.

Also i found information about a Web-GUI tool to manage the entire zfs / filesystem / disk stuff (SUNWzfsg, SUNWzfsgr, SUNWzfsgu).

Status
Not open for further replies.