8.0.4 stability issues on new build - Hardware or software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshnerl

Dabbler
Like the title says, i'm having stability issues on a new build and would appreciate any troubleshooting advice I can get. I've used FN7 for 4-5 years now and haven't had these issues so I need some help from the experts as to where the problems might be coming from.

Build parts:
ASRock Z77 Pro4-M
Intel G620 Pentium SB proc
8gb Crucial DDR3
5x1tb disks in single raidz1 connected directly to mobo
running OS from an 8gb micro center flash drive
system name is 'tuck'

I've had 4-5 situations now where I've tried to log into the gui and it's not available. I get a 503 or 504 error from my browser. The other day, I connected a monitor and was getting a green light but nothing on the screen. I ended up completely re-installing the OS and things calmed down - it ran for 24 hours, then blam, i got another '503 Service Unavailable' error so I went back to the monitor. I'm getting:

May 31 18:11:50 tuck init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv0 sleeping 30 seconds

ugen1.4: <vendor 0x04d9> at usbus1 (disconnected)
ukbd0: at uhub3, port 6, addr 4 (disconnected)
uhid0: at uhub3, port 6, adds 4 (disconnected)

FreeBSD/amd64 (tuck.local) (ttyv0)

I tried doing some web searches and found some issues with usb sticks, but would appreciate any advice I can get. I can ping the system, but I can't SSH into it for a completely different problem I'm having with permissions. I can't SSH in as root or another user I setup because I'm getting a message about keys not being right. Different post for a different day.

paleoN

Wizard
I tried doing some web searches and found some issues with usb sticks, but would appreciate any advice I can get.
Given your searches, have you tried a different usb stick. You could also try a different usb port.

Have you tested out your RAM?

I can't SSH in as root or another user I setup because I'm getting a message about keys not being right. Different post for a different day.
Perhaps this [thread=6888]thread[/thread] might lead you in the right direction.

joshnerl

Dabbler
I'm going to try a different USB stick today, but need directions on how to actually run a test on the RAM. Are there command line tests I can run from the shell? I don't have another machine here that will accept the same sticks so I'm confined to the Freenas box.

joshnerl

Dabbler
I managed to download Memtest86 and ran it for about 3 hours. From what I can tell, it ran 3 passes and didn't find any memory errors. I also grabbed some free utilities online and tried to test the USB stick, but i've never had good luck with these things from MicroCenter so I'm going to go grab another drive later this afternoon just to be sure. (I could never get FN7 to load on one of them at all, let alone run stable.) Any other ideas out there?

praecorloth

Contributor
I also grabbed some free utilities online and tried to test the USB stick, but i've never had good luck with these things from MicroCenter...

Eeep! My friend installs FreeNAS boxes for various clients. It's not so much that we've had bad luck with Microcenter thumb drives. It's more like we buy them and then they spit in our faces, kick our dogs, and then fail to operate in strange and mysterious ways. I think we're up to 8 drives gone terribad in the last I'd say 4 months. I'm a big fan of Imation for anything storage related. They know wtf they're doing.

joshnerl

Dabbler
Yeah, I get drawn in by the pretty prices, then beaten with a sledge hammer when I try to use them for anything more than transferring pictures between computers. Just picked up a PNY and Sandisk - crossing fingers.

joshnerl

Dabbler
Update - redownloaded ISO (actually checked the checksum this time) and reinstalled on Sandisk. Once reinstalled, i uploaded the old config file and things seemed ok. Moved about 20gb of data to make sure things were at least working and things were fine. Then tried to up the number a little bit and about 15gb into another transfer, i got a fatal trap 12; page fault while in kernel mode.

Next steps: Starting all over. Re-initializing USB key, reinstalling OS and going to do a new config. Someone has to have some advice on where to look??

ProtoSD

MVP
Josh,

Just to confirm, you are using the x64 install files right?

I don't think this is a USB issue anymore, there are a lot of possibilities for fatal traps. A screenshot from a camera or cell would help, make sure it's clear.

It could be a tuning issue with memory, or a setting in your BIOS.

paleoN

Wizard
Then tried to up the number a little bit and about 15gb into another transfer, i got a fatal trap 12; page fault while in kernel mode.

Next steps: Starting all over. Re-initializing USB key, reinstalling OS and going to do a new config. Someone has to have some advice on where to look??
What RAM do you have and what speed are you running it at?

What's the brand & size of your PSU?

Just as an FYI you should usually leave memtest to run overnight. Though if it makes it through a single pass without errors the memory is usually good.

joshnerl

Dabbler
Huge thanks for getting involved everyone. I had the mobo in my original post, but it's a ASRock Z77 Pro4-M P1.00. Ram is Crucial ballistic DDR3-1600 running at that speed @ 9-9-9-24. Bios is UEFI and most everything is set to auto. I disabled the onboard lan because I'm using a new intel CT pci-e gigabit card and i thought i saw some posts where the realtek onboard could act funny with the intel card. I'm not into overclocking or anything so i thought it best to just let the board do it's thing, but there's a million options that I'm clueless about.

Yes, I've quadruple checked that I'm running x64 since I've seen a number of "id10t" type posts. Like i said, i even re-downloaded the iso today to make sure. System recognizes all 8gb of memory when it's running too.

joshnerl

Dabbler
PSU is a coolermaster 500w. System has 5x1tb WD Black drives. Running around 90w sitting idle.

peterh

Patron
trap 12 indicates hardware problems.
remove all unneeded stuff, make shure memory is right type etc. cpu fans working ( and cpu not overheated )

As problems occur when copying data, this might indicate problems with disc controllers ( dma settings or just plain broken hardware) memtest might not give any problems. Then try "bonnie" or scp in a loop.

joshnerl

Dabbler
Quick update: having checked the memory and knowing that the PSU and disks had just come from another system, i decided to finally check the ASRock website. I was behind a rev on the BIOS. I had read early on that if things worked, don't update it and i kind of went with "if it posts, then I'm sure it's probably fine." Well when I checked the BIOS rev notes they said "fixes stability issues with USB". Hmmm. Then I double checked the CPU config tool and my CPU was listed but only at the new bios level. Needless to say, updated bios and started testing again. I hope it's that easy. I'd rather be embarrassed and know what happened than to keep going through the troubleshooting.

Will update later with my progress. Thanks again to everyone for jumping in to help.

joshnerl

Dabbler
Call this one closed. I ran the BIOS update and things have been running solid. I've got a few errors and lines in the log that I don't understand, but I've moved about 1.7TB without a freeze, hang or shutdown so I'll call this one closed.

Just a quick word of thanks to everyone that pitched an idea. I was looking to buy a readynas pro, but came back to freeness because it's been so solid and because the forums here have always been a great help when i've had dumb questions to ask. Thanks again everyone.

paleoN

Wizard
Good to hear. If you feel like it, optionally, you can change the thread title, advanced edit first post, to include solved or some such.

If you are still having trouble with SSH feel free to ask in a new thread. I'm sure someone will be able to help with it.

joshnerl

Dabbler
Fatal Trap 12 continues

The pain continues. So I thought i was out of the woods and was transferring 2-300GB piles of movies from one Freenas (7.2) to the new Freenas (8.0.4) and it went well for about 1.7TB. I was doing the copies via my mac - just dragging and dropping.

Then last night when I went to move the next pile, I got the "Fatal trap 12" error again (pic attached). Work is getting in the way of troubleshooting again, so it may be late tonight before I make it back, but any help anyone can give, again, is appreciated. Just as a refresher, i've got 5x1tb WD black drives plugged right into the sata ports on my motherboard, no controller or anything. They're a mix of Sata2 and Sata3 ports, so I don't know if they're causing the problem or not. BIOS SATA mode is AHCI and I just turned off the aggressive link power management option.

Attachments

• IMG_0234.jpg
    IMG_0234.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 259

joshnerl

Dabbler
Well now I can pretty much reproduce variations of this error whenever I try to push 2-300gb to the server. After 8-10 minutes, I get a fatal trap 12 error. Always different processes listed when it bombs. I'm starting to wonder if I have a bad cpu. I've flashed the bios on the board and i'm not sure what a board issue would look like. I reran the memtest and it found no errors in another 4 passes. I figure it's either the CPU itself or the onboard sata controllers. I have an IBM m1015 on the way, but it'll probably be a week before it's here. I'm considering buying another G620 or an i3 and putting it in the box to see if it does anything. I also have a single 2tb drive that I'm going to hook up and try to do a large file push to it.

Any feelings as to whether my thought process is correct and how (if possible) i can tell if the board itself may be the problem?

peterh

Patron
There is a hardware problem. The difficult part is to identify what part that needs adjusting ( not neccessarily
replacement but maybe reconfiguration).
Reducing the complexity be removing uneeded hardware/software is one tool. Carefully replacing
selected items with simular but alternate design another.

You may try ( if memtest86+ is satisfied with memories ) using another nic, another disc controller
or another cpu.

If time is scarce and economics allow, returning the box altogether and use another where the vendor claims
"freebsd compatibility" might be an option. ( i know one distributor that claims supermicro has a range of such )

survive

Behold the Wumpus

paleoN

Wizard
Spoke too soon.:(

In my experience it's almost always the motherboard & not the processor.

If you have a spare PSU around swap it with the one that's in there. Failing PSUs can cause all sorts of weird errors.

Run survive's tests either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.