8.0.1 Beta 3 (Nightly) - Mem Leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyther

Cadet
Well sometime between 8:15pm and 9:20pm my freenas box became inaccessible. At 9:00pm I had a task that was suppose to move files over to my iscsi drive.

Code:
arp: 10.25.11.55 moved from 00:23:5a:d5:84:fd to 8c:a9:82:3c:14:c2 on lagg0
arp: 10.25.11.55 moved from 8c:a9:82:3c:14:c2 to 00:23:5a:d5:84:fd on lagg0
pid 6942 (istgt), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space
pid 1841 (collectd), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space
pid 1738 (python), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space

It seems as if I ran out of RAM.

System Specs:
CPU: Intel Xeon X3440
RAM: 4GB
Hard Drives: 6x 2TB 7200rpm drives in (RAID-Z2)
Services: iSCSI, NFS, FTP
Volumes: 1x 8TB
ZVOL: 1x 3.5TB (ISCSI)
Data Store: 1x 1TB (NFS)

I don't recall creating a swap file but top says "Swap: 12G Total, 12G Free"

Is there a mem leak? If so how can I monitor it?

Thanks

b0x

Cadet
Similar Issue?

I'm running an older setup with 1.5 gigs of ram on the Stable 8 release. Within a day said ram slowly disappears. About a stick at a time (500mb sticks). FreeNAS 7 used to run for months without a problem. Wishing I would have waited to upgrade at this point. Now I'm getting bugged by the wife in the middle of work to "make it work right". I end up with messages on the screen that its killing programs and trying to use the swap freenas 8 didn't setup. In the end the box just thrashes itself to death and sits there waiting for me to reboot it.

Tekkie

Patron
I don't recall creating a swap file but top says "Swap: 12G Total, 12G Free"

Is there a mem leak? If so how can I monitor it?
I am guessing you have 6 drives :)

Take a look under Settings -> Advanced ->
Code:
Swap size on each drive in GiB, affects new disks only. Must be non-zero
The default value is 2 which means you will get 12GB of SWAP space if you have 6 drives. ;)

pyther

Cadet
Yah I got 12GB of swap. It appears (via the graphs) that the swap was NOT activated when this happened. Maybe there is a bug in BETA3 that doesn't activate the swap when a new volume gets created. Anyways I rebooted to get things up and running and now I got 12GB of swap. Box has been up stable for the last two days. :)

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
I'm running an older setup with 1.5 gigs of ram on the Stable 8 release. Within a day said ram slowly disappears. About a stick at a time (500mb sticks). FreeNAS 7 used to run for months without a problem. Wishing I would have waited to upgrade at this point. Now I'm getting bugged by the wife in the middle of work to "make it work right". I end up with messages on the screen that its killing programs and trying to use the swap freenas 8 didn't setup. In the end the box just thrashes itself to death and sits there waiting for me to reboot it.

With 1.5gb of ram you probably want to stick with 0.7, unless you're running UFS with 8.0
ZFS takes a lot of ram

b0x

Cadet
Unfortunately freenas 7 to 8 with zfs was a one way street. I'd added some zfs tweaks to loader.conf that seemed to actually make me run out of memory faster. Removing them I can get a at least two days before it suddenly sucks away the memory. I've continued to run tests and have found it runs out of memory when reading from the zfs array only. Watching top it shows the memory disappearing at a rapid rate when reading. Odd thing is the memory goes "no where". Doesn't show up in wired or any of the other memory items listed on top. Just vanishes away until the box hits 50 megs left and then the system starts killing off processes. Never had this problem with 7, not sure what has changed to allow this "feature", but its not very handy. Eventually I'll hand down an amd64 system I have, but I don't see that happening any time soon. I still have no swap btw. Was freenas 8 supposed to make one? I have I think five partitions it created (at work currently so can't verify), none of them are marked as swap. I won't mind it switching to swap until it could unload the memory if that was an option. Not looking for the worlds best performance, just reliable and fast enough to stream video, etc. I had the option to set zfs max at 750mb and even that didn't stop it from gobbling up the ram. Min was 512mb which appeared to show up in wired. With no tweaks in loader.conf it is running around 256mb wired all the time.

b0x

Cadet
Playing with loader.conf zfs options

Assuming this is an arc problem based on the fact that when I read the memory disappears I've tried tweaking the zfs arc options to limit memory usage. It is possible it is ignoring these options in current versions? Another way I can limit zfs's memory usage in the mean time?

Status
Not open for further replies.