7-Zip Cannot Extract FreeNAS 8 Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

photontech

Dabbler
I have downloaded multiple versions of FreeNAS 8 (8.4 alpha, 8.3, 8.2 both iso and .img.xz files) and each download is 5 to 6 MB smaller than what is listed on the FreeNAS file DL page. When I try to extract these files I get an error from 7-zip that it cannot open the archive. I am guessing because the files are not downloaded completely. Not sure. Anyone have an idea? Help. Thank you in advance.
Using Firefox 18 and the DLs are from freenAS.org.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Have you checked the sha256?

You might want to try something like WinRAR (I believe it supports .xz)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The ISO format actually has about a bajillion different specifications. Blu-Ray uses a different spec and Blu-Ray ISOs will not open with 7-ZIP unless they use the "older format". I don't remember the exact format, but if you google around trying to use ISOs can be difficult since ISO was never intended to be used to open and extract files without actually burning a disk.

photontech

Dabbler
Thanks for the reply. Tried on another machine (new download and fresh install of 7-Zip) and the file was extracted. File still smaller than stated on FreeNAS download page. Re-installed 7-Zip on originall machine and the file extracted. So that was the problem. Again thanks for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.