7 HDD ZFS setup and backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

embe

Dabbler
Hi all,

first of all sorry for my bad english:) I am very new to FreeNas, whole my life using only windows, having absolutely no experience with Linux, FreeBSD and so on. I tried WHS 2011 but having troubles within homegroup, so my media player wasn't able to see my structure of folders which i created in server, i decided to switch to Freenas. I thought it will be much easier :( But i don't give up :)
I have read as much as possible, several posts, including manual made by cyberjock, also step by step FreeNas manual to the point at where i was with actually when installing and settings freenas itself, but now i am runiing in circles and can't move on.

I came now to the point of creating Volume. I understand all RaidZ stuff, but: (and here comes my questions which i would like you to help me to answer)

- can't decide whether to setup 2x RAIDZ1 (3x2TB +4x2TB) or RAIDZ2 only 7X2TB or even RIADZ1 (purpose of NAS is below together with HW setup of my NAS)
- I tried single RaidZ2 but final available volume size turned to only 8,3TB, everywhere i was reading about it, it is mentioned it should be 10TB...I need as much as possible space for huge movie library + uncompresses CD rips. That's why i am considering RaidZ1 too...so why only 8,3TB? All discs are empty so no problem to delete volume/RaidZ2.
- No matter what RiadZ i will use, i would like to backup part of my files stored in NAS + 2 other computers (mine desktop + wife's notebook). I ned to backup some movies and own films, photos and docs. Lets say it will be 4TB. The question is, how the backup works, i mean how much space will these 4TB takes when backed up - is backup somehow compressed? Other question is - if I backup desktop PC + notebook and pics/docs stored in NAS, i would expect that desktop PC and and notebook backups go to NAS but most of the time i read here about offsite backups. So is following chart OK?: Destop PC + Notebook --> NAS (lets call it Backup 1 and Backup 2) and some movies and pics/docs will backup (3) itself in NAS and then Backup 1+2+3 --> offsite, either cloud or external HDD? I am littlebit confused here.

From below HW it is clear that i invest quite a lot of money into NAS in past weeks, and to be honest don't want to invest any EUR more. Nor for single HDD. 2x2TB WD Green is the only gear i had here from the past. So i would like to keep 7 HDDs and get as much as possible performance, storage but also redundancy. I must highlight that i have never faced HDD failure (more than 10 years now) i have never think about any Raid or even backup. But this time i am taking it seriously and considering invested time and money already, moving files from all HDDs and DVDs to NAS (it will take a lot of time) I simply cannot allow any data loss...

NAS will be mainly used for media streaming and backups. No huge loads and so on, no webserver, no databases etc, no ZIL no L2ARC..just relaxing tool for media streaming and backups, simply build it and foget it :)

My hardware setup:

- Mobo: Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
- CPU: Intel i3220T 2.8Ghz
- RAM: 4x4GB Corsair
- NIC: Intel Proset 1000CT (i spent hours until i found that onboard NIC is not supported...so i was forced to buy NIC since no experience how to include driver to FreeNas installation)
- 5x2TB WD Red
- 2x2TB WD Green
- Seasonic 82+ 550W
- No optical drive, no GPU
All in 19'' rackmount case mounted in rack

I am very sorry for such noob question but since, as mentioned, running in circles, i really need your help :) It could be that i will later on pop up with more questions but i will try to find questions myself either here on this great forum or Youtube and so on.

Many thanks in advance!
Martin

titan_rw

Guru
RE: Your space calculations.

Have you adjusted for the 'lying hard drive manufacturers numbers'? IE, base 10 to base 2? IE 1000 / 1024?

Your 2tb hdd's are actually 1.8tb using the numbering system 99% of the computing world uses.

Adjusting for this, maximum expected space from 7 disk z2 zpool would be 9tb. You're getting 8.3? The rest of the space is going to zfs overhead. It reserves space for copy on write to work, as well as metadata, and other stuff.

embe

Dabbler
Hi,

oks clear, i just expected arround 9-9,5 TB at least. So question nbr 2 is solved, but what about the rest?

- can't decide whether to setup 2x RAIDZ1 (3x2TB +4x2TB) or RAIDZ2 only 7X2TB or even RIADZ1 (purpose of NAS is below together with HW setup of my NAS)
- No matter what RiadZ i will use, i would like to backup part of my files stored in NAS + 2 other computers (mine desktop + wife's notebook). I ned to backup some movies and own films, photos and docs. Lets say it will be 4TB. The question is, how the backup works, i mean how much space will these 4TB takes when backed up - is backup somehow compressed? Other question is - if I backup desktop PC + notebook and pics/docs stored in NAS, i would expect that desktop PC and and notebook backups go to NAS but most of the time i read here about offsite backups. So is following chart OK?: Destop PC + Notebook --> NAS (lets call it Backup 1 and Backup 2) and some movies and pics/docs will backup (3) itself in NAS and then Backup 1+2+3 --> offsite, either cloud or external HDD? I am littlebit confused here.

Status
Not open for further replies.