6x 3,5" drives in Dell Poweredge T20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kropling

Cadet
Hi!

I have spent some time reading the forums and looking for hardware recommendations, Dell Poweredge T20 seems like the popular choice for a cheap server if you don't want to build yourself.

I saw a post, don't remember what thread, saying you can mod/buy an adapter for the T20 allowing it to house up to six 3,5" drives instead of four. This is if you don't want/need the optical bay.

Anyone know where I can get this adapter or read up on the mod? Planning to run 6x 3/4TB drives with raidz2 on the T20, with the additional ram sticks to back that up of course.

Kropling

Cadet
Thanks for looking up the post, didn't seem to find it when writing the first post.

But the question still stands, does anyone know more about there cages and where to buy them?

gpsguy

Besides the post, I also tagged Robert Trevellyan hoping he'd chime in.

I remembered finding this via a Google image search - http://homeservershow.com/forums/in...od-to-add-four-more-25-drives-to-a-t20/page-3

Even though the thread starts off talking about adding 4x2.5" drives, in the middle of the thread, it shows pictures and links to Dell parts for adding 2 more 3.5" drives. It's not plug and play, but looks doable.

While I don't need yet another computer, the discounted price was appealing, so I did some looking a few days ago. I decided to pass on the deal, since I don't really need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.