64GB 1066 or 32 1600?

ThreeDee

Guru
So I'm looking to swapping out my sig hardware to an LGA 2011 setup. The new mobo comes with a Xeon E5 4640.

My question is , with my simple little home system .. should I go with 4 x 8gb of 1600 ECC Reg dimms, or 4 x 16gb of 1066 ECC Reg dimms? I do have up to 7 users at a time connected to my Plex .. but that's about as stressed as it gets .. I'm also replacing the 4 x 2TB drives in Raidz with just 1 x 4TB drive and then running a 2TB SAS for backing up my personal PC's.

Thanks for any and all input/suggestions.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Generally speaking, the total amount of RAM is much more important than the speed (since the speed of RAM in general is orders of magnitude faster than your SSD or HDD resources).

ThreeDee

Guru
Generally speaking, the total amount of RAM is much more important than the speed (since the speed of RAM in general is orders of magnitude faster than your SSD or HDD resources).
Thanks ..that's the general consensus I've come across from the plethora of forum posts and what not that I've read on the subject .. nothing was definitive .. SMB benefits from faster memory .. ZFS likes more ram .. Plex is more about CPU I think .. of which I'll be doubling the Passmark scores with the new processor ( a little lower single thread though) ..

..a lot of system dependent/what are you doing with said system dependent answers .. hence why I listed "my" system