5 disk raidz2

Status
Not open for further replies.

herby

Dabbler
The largest number of drives for my NAS rig as currently planned is a total of 5 disks and I would like the protection of raidz2.

This is the limit for two reasons: The case I want badly can only support 5 disks without modding, and the motherboard for this build only supports 4 disks; a total I have brought up to 5 using a cheap 1x controller.

Is a 5 disk raidz2 setup that awful? All the benchmarks seem to show the speeds jump a bit with 6 disks, but they don't seem terrible with just 5.

What if only 512 sector drives are used? All the "only 5 or 9 for raidz1" comments I've seen are directed towards 4k disks however I don't really understand the math behind that.

My NAS on a Gigabit router tops out about 50 - 60 MBs with samba. I think the slightly slower speed of a 5 disk raidz2 should still saturate that. I haven't seen this specific setup discussed, only glazed over mostly in benchmark threads.

b1ghen

Contributor
My recommendation is to try it out first, if it's fast enough for your needs then go for it. I myself is running a 6 disk raidz2 but did some benchmarks with different combinations of drives and redundancy before and if I remember correctly it was enough to satisfy my needs even if it wasn't the "optimal" number of drives seen everywhere, but I had the space for 6 drives so that's what I ended up with. I am using 4k drives btw (Seagate Greens).

Status
Not open for further replies.