3TB Showing in the GUI as 2.2TB

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdragon75

Wizard
I have a box with 2 3TB drives that are showing up in the GUI as 2.2TB I have done a bit of searching and general research already. My BIOS ses the drives as 3TB, gdisk (in FreeNAS) sees them as 2.7TB and show the ada0 disk part/slice as 2.7TB with the GPT scheme.

Please help me find the missing 500GB!

Hardware:
Mobo: X7SPA
RAM: 8GB
SATA: Intel ICH9R SATA 3.0Gbps Controller

Code:
Geom name: ada0                                                                                                                     
modified: false                                                                                                                     
state: OK                                                                                                                           
fwheads: 16                                                                                                                         
fwsectors: 63                                                                                                                       
last: 5860533134                                                                                                                   
first: 34                                                                                                                           
entries: 128                                                                                                                       
scheme: GPT                                                                                                                         
Providers:                                                                                                                         
1. Name: ada0p1                                                                                                                     
   Mediasize: 2147483648 (2.0G)                                                                                                     
   Sectorsize: 512                                                                                                                 
   Stripesize: 0                                                                                                                   
   Stripeoffset: 65536                                                                                                             
   Mode: r1w1e1                                                                                                                     
   rawuuid: 83962312-d125-11e5-ad1f-002590649a7e                                                                                   
   rawtype: 516e7cb5-6ecf-11d6-8ff8-00022d09712b                                                                                   
   label: (null)                                                                                                                   
   length: 2147483648                                                                                                               
   offset: 65536                                                                                                                   
   type: freebsd-swap                                                                                                               
   index: 1                                                                                                                         
   end: 4194431                                                                                                                     
   start: 128                                                                                                                       
2. Name: ada0p2                                                                                                                     
   Mediasize: 2998445412352 (2.7T)                                                                                                 
   Stripesize: 0                                                                                                                   
   Stripeoffset: 2147549184                                                                                                         
   Mode: r1w1e2                                                                                                                     
   rawuuid: 83a87612-d125-11e5-ad1f-002590649a7e                                                                                   
   rawtype: 516e7cba-6ecf-11d6-8ff8-00022d09712b                                                                                   
   label: (null)                                                                                                                   
   length: 2998445412352                                                                                                           
   offset: 2147549184                                                                                                               
   type: freebsd-zfs                                                                                                               
   index: 2                                                                                                                         
   end: 5860533127                                                                                                                 
   start: 4194432                                                                                                                   
Consumers:                                                                                                                         
1. Name: ada0                                                                                                                       
   Mediasize: 3000592982016 (2.7T)                                                                                                 
   Mode: r2w2e5

joeschmuck

Old Man
These forums are loaded with the same kind of complaint. You are not missing anything, it's formatting and overhead. ZFS is terrible at reporting the true size of your available storage. And as a heads up, if you setup snapshots, your space will disappear very quickly so don't do it with such a small pool.

rs225

Guru
Are you using a recent version of FreeNAS? 2.2TB is the largest capacity that a 32-bit value can represent when using 512-byte sectors.

kdragon75

Wizard
I'm on FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201606270534 (dd17351)
The CPU (Atom D525) is technically a 32bit with PAE but I don't see how this would affect storage.

EDIT: I did the initial setup of the pool on 9.8 (I think)

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
9.8 never existed.

9.3+ requires a 64bit CPU.

I'm not really sure what you have going on

kdragon75

Wizard
Yeah I was going from memory there... I looked up the D525 and it IS 64bit IF the motherboard supports it. From what I can see (8GB of RAM etc) it is 64 bit.

joeschmuck mentioned snapshots.. is this subtracted from the reported volume size? I know a few storage vendors taht do some odd size/space reporting when snapshots are used (HP Lefthand)

rs225

Guru
The 32/64-bit of your CPU wouldn't matter here. Are you sure you read 2.2TB? You probably should attach a screen grab.

Stux

MVP

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Please show the output of
zpool list
and
zfs list -o name,used,refer,usedsnap,avail,mountpoint -d 1

It should be clear from the output of the second command that the value shown in the USED column includes snapshots (USED = REFER + USEDSNAP for every dataset shown).

joeschmuck

Old Man
I was not indicating that you did have snapshots turned on, just if you do, that space will disappear if you are not on your "A" game. You ar also chasing your tail trying to locate the 500GB you feel you are missing. FreeNAS reported 2.7GB then that is what you have. ZFS in the GUI is reporting less, that is not a real shocker. Again, search the forums and you will see a lot of these types of situations and in the end, it comes down to faith because very few people can explain exactly why ZFS does this.

Status
Not open for further replies.