36-60 DISK TrueNas Setup - Multiple Q's

Code_Is_Law

Cadet
Hello everyone,

First and foremost, thanks to everyone who is taking their time to assist me with some questions I have, appreciated.

So, let's jump right into it.

I have been experimenting with TrueNas 12.8 for a while now with some large scale systems (250-640TiB), and I believe that there are multiple things that I could set-up a lot better. The workload that I experience on these devices is the following:
  • Writes up to 1GB/s consistently throughout the day, not constant but peaks every 10 minutes.
  • Daily extremely high random-IO across all disks for 2 hours. Idling my writes during this period. (same hours every day - check mechanism)
  • Rsync (mirror) of the whole server to an offsite location. Sometimes interferes with the random-IO load process.
The current system details:
  • (2x) Xeon E5-2660 v3
  • 128GB DDR4
  • (36x) 8 or 18TB SAS (Seagate or WD)
  • Raidz3 pool with 36 drives
  • 4x 10G LAN (dedicated 10G towards the servers that do writes/IO/backup)
  • 2x 480GB Sata (bootdrive)
  • Storage is used mostly for archival and backup.

My main concern is not being able to do the check mechanism due to load elsewhere, the disks should be prioritised to do these heavy random-IO tasks always. Is there any way to set this up properly? My other question is working with another layer of SSD's inside the NAS, for cache or ZIL or anything else that would benefit this setup. Also, Raidz3 with so many disks might not be ideal, what is the preferred pool size for the configuration above? The last question I have is about scrubs and deep S.M.A.R.T. test, how often would you do these and how to make sure they do not run during the random-IO load?

I am upgrading to a new server with a 60 bay JBOD attached next month and it would be best to set this NAS up properly at once. Please let me know what you would change about the configuration, everything is acceptable. Main concern is setting up the VDEV/ZFS correctly to achieve a reasonable IO and not loosing most of my capacity. Server will be fully backed up eventually, so mirrors are not needed. Same load and usage as the server mentioned above.
  • (2x) AMD EPYC 7413
  • 512GB DDR4
  • 480GB Micron 5300 PRO
  • Mellanox 100GbE Adapter ConnectX-6 Dx (Support?)
  • Broadcom HBA 9500-8e
  • (60x) 18TB SAS (more JBOD added later)

Thanks for assisting so far, love to chat more with you about TrueNas 13 also!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I would start with looking into some of the topics here:

Raidz3 with so many disks might not be ideal, what is the preferred pool size for the configuration above?
Pool size isn't so much the question, but over 16 disks in one VDEV is an issue, mostly for resilvering, as is mentioned in the tuning link. Multiple VDEVs would be better in a few ways, but would cost you additional disks of capacity to redundancy... maybe worth considering RAIDZ2 for multiple VDEVs instead to keep that number down.

My other question is working with another layer of SSD's inside the NAS, for cache or ZIL or anything else that would benefit this setup
SLOG doesn't seem to be a good thing for you as you make no mention of Sync Writes... but you could check that with arc_summary (at the bottom of the output)

You may find improvement with a couple of things mentioned in this thread

Using L2ARC in metadata only for some or all of the datasets might improve performance of the rsync tasks (and the link above refers to tuning ARC to not eject metadata so quickly to improve on that further).

Overall, arc_summary will help you to see if L2ARC may help or not, but you'll also need to think about how much of your data is really repetitive reads.

The last question I have is about scrubs and deep S.M.A.R.T. test, how often would you do these and how to make sure they do not run during the random-IO load?
Schedules are a thing for those, so I guess that's your answer on how to avoid things, but there's no getting around the need to eventually SCRUB (which will take a really long time for your enormous pool, probably more than 24 hours) and long SMART tests (I schedule those for odd numbered disks every 2 weeks and even numbered disks the other 2 weeks... primarily to reduce/distribute the heat load). Generally, with that many disks, you shouldn't need to be too worried about spreading 1GB/s of data across the pool even when running those tasks.

Code_Is_Law

Cadet
Thanks for your answers Sretalla, I will read the posts you linked and come back to you with new insights later today.

Code_Is_Law

Cadet
So, talking about the VDEV options, a change to 3 x 12 disks with RAIDZ2 inside a 36 bay chassis would benefit me in what exactly?
Yes, resilvering would be a lot quicker and I will have slightly less capacity. But how about IO, reads and writes with 3 x 12 disk VDEVs?

sretalla