24-36 Bay E-Bay Servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronRobi

Explorer
So I've pretty much run out of space with my current setup. Have 8x 4tb drives in a fractal design R5 case with essentially old re-purposed hardware. I use strictly for storage and as a media server running Emby, Sonarr, Radarr, Headphones, Transmission and SABNZBD. At most could be transcoding 4 streams simultaneously but this would be extremely rare. 2 would be much more common.

I'm currently looking at a used Supermicro 4U server on e-bay and wondering if there are any glaring issues or reasons I should not consider this for what I am looking to use it for and if there is anything else I should look to add. From what I'm seeing this board does support up to 1.5tb ECC ram even though it's not pre-installed. (EDIT: I messaged the seller and it is 64Gb of ECC Ram installed)

Case: CSE-847E16-R1400LPB
Motherboard: X9DRi-LN4F+
Backplanes:
BPN-SAS2-846EL1 24-port 4U SAS2 6Gbps single-expander backplane
BPN-SAS2-826EL1 12-port 2U SAS2 6Gbps single-expander backplane
NIC: Integrated Quad Intel 1000BASE-T Ports
IPMI: Integrated IPMI 2.0 Management
Processor: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650L (Low Power) Octo (8) Core 1.8GHz C1 Stepping
Memory: 16 x 4GB - DDR3 - REG (EDIT: Ram is ECC Ram)
HBA: 1x LSI 9210-8i HBA JBOD FREENAS UNRAID (with SAS2 Expander will supports all 36 bays)
Power Supply: 2x 1400Watt Power Supply Gold

My other option I am considering is to find an older/less expensive x8 based system and gut the internals and replace with a newer x10 or x11 motherboard and new Xeon E5 chipset. The problem is finding a 24-36 bay case with SAS2 backplanes that don't cost almost as much as the above system. By the time I'd gut it and replace with new hardware I'm into double the cost if not more.

Any input from those much more experienced than I would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I would search for a good price on a CSE 836 chassis without a motherboard/cpu/memory.
You can pick up an older TQ version pretty cheap, upgrade the backplane and install your
mobo, cpu and ram of choice. the BPN-SAS2-836EL1 backplane must be purchased with
a frame of course and you would still need an HBA. I went this route and was unhappy with
the redundant PSUs that came with the chassis, so I upgraded to the 920watt SQ models.
I'm real happy with the final outcome, but you have to know that I was VERY patient and
took months to find the best deals available at the time.

IronRobi

Explorer
I would search for a good price on a CSE 836 chassis without a motherboard/cpu/memory.
You can pick up an older TQ version pretty cheap, upgrade the backplane and install your
mobo, cpu and ram of choice. the BPN-SAS2-836EL1 backplane must be purchased with
a frame of course and you would still need an HBA. I went this route and was unhappy with
the redundant PSUs that came with the chassis, so I upgraded to the 920watt SQ models.
I'm real happy with the final outcome, but you have to know that I was VERY patient and
took months to find the best deals available at the time.
That's part of my problem, I don't think I have many months to put this together. I'm down to just over 2TB of storage and the fall TV schedule is just around the corner so I may have 2-3 months before I'm getting desperate.

From what I see the 836 is a 16 bay case. That'll do me for my next expansion but then I'll be looking to do it all over again in a year or 2. That's why I'm looking at 24 and preferably 36 bays just to future proof it a little. But this is why I'm considering getting an older x8 system, mainly for the case and PSUs. Then I'll have a bit more control over the internal components but the cost would be significantly higher than the above.

So for a media server only.... is the added cost of the newer hardware needed?

danb35

Hall of Famer
That server sounds like a good choice for a near-turnkey FreeNAS box, and though it isn't the most current generation, it's current enough that you aren't going to save a lot of watts by upgrading to a newer generation of something comparable. You might need to flash the HBA to the current firmware version, and you'd obviously need a boot device. Supermicro makes brackets that will let you mount up to four SSDs (two per bracket) internally under the motherboard tray, which could cover a boot device or whatever else you might want to use them for.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
So I've pretty much run out of space with my current setup. Have 8x 4tb drives in a fractal design R5 case with essentially old re-purposed hardware. I use strictly for storage and as a media server running Emby, Sonarr, Radarr, Headphones, Transmission and SABNZBD. At most could be transcoding 4 streams simultaneously but this would be extremely rare. 2 would be much more common.

I'm currently looking at a used Supermicro 4U server on e-bay and wondering if there are any glaring issues or reasons I should not consider this for what I am looking to use it for and if there is anything else I should look to add. From what I'm seeing this board does support up to 1.5tb ECC ram even though it's not pre-installed. (EDIT: I messaged the seller and it is 64Gb of ECC Ram installed)

Case: CSE-847E16-R1400LPB
Motherboard: X9DRi-LN4F+
Backplanes:
BPN-SAS2-846EL1 24-port 4U SAS2 6Gbps single-expander backplane
BPN-SAS2-826EL1 12-port 2U SAS2 6Gbps single-expander backplane
NIC: Integrated Quad Intel 1000BASE-T Ports
IPMI: Integrated IPMI 2.0 Management
Processor: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650L (Low Power) Octo (8) Core 1.8GHz C1 Stepping
Memory: 16 x 4GB - DDR3 - REG (EDIT: Ram is ECC Ram)
HBA: 1x LSI 9210-8i HBA JBOD FREENAS UNRAID (with SAS2 Expander will supports all 36 bays)
Power Supply: 2x 1400Watt Power Supply Gold

My other option I am considering is to find an older/less expensive x8 based system and gut the internals and replace with a newer x10 or x11 motherboard and new Xeon E5 chipset. The problem is finding a 24-36 bay case with SAS2 backplanes that don't cost almost as much as the above system. By the time I'd gut it and replace with new hardware I'm into double the cost if not more.

Any input from those much more experienced than I would be greatly appreciated
This looks like a good idea. You may want to ask the seller about the sound, if that is a consideration for you. I went with a 24 bay 4u chassis that I am working on right now. I like the high clearance over the system board so I can put an active heatsync on the CPU and slower fans to make it less loud.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

IronRobi

Explorer
That server sounds like a good choice for a near-turnkey FreeNAS box, and though it isn't the most current generation, it's current enough that you aren't going to save a lot of watts by upgrading to a newer generation of something comparable. You might need to flash the HBA to the current firmware version, and you'd obviously need a boot device. Supermicro makes brackets that will let you mount up to four SSDs (two per bracket) internally under the motherboard tray, which could cover a boot device or whatever else you might want to use them for.
Thanks, this is the type of feedback I was hoping to hear, and I notice you've got a somewhat similar setup. Do you think the slower processor in this system will affect things much? Should I be looking to upgrade to the E5-2670v2?

This looks like a good idea. You may want to ask the seller about the sound, if that is a consideration for you. I went with a 24 bay 4u chassis that I am working on right now. I like the high clearance over the system board so I can put an active heatsync on the CPU and slower fans to make it less loud.

I'm not too concerned about the sound. It'll be on a rack that's under the stairs in the basement. The family does most of our viewing in the living room on the main level or in the bedrooms. On the odd occasion we'll watch a movie in the theatre room, but the surround setup in there will drown out any background noise :) I do like hearing that if noise does become an issue that there are things that can be done to help.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Do you think the slower processor in this system will affect things much? Should I be looking to upgrade to the E5-2670v2?
I'm not sure if the v2 is an option. When I bought my system, it came with 2660s, and pairs of 2670s were around $120 shipped. For that price, I couldn't resist. I doubt a 2650 would be a problem, though we don't generally care for "low-power" chips. But yes, the system will be loud.

1. I agree with @danb35. That's a fine box as-is.

2. If you're happy with your current server, have you considered just getting a JBOD enclosure? That way you can use everything you already have while adding an HBA with external ports and the JBOD.

Cheers,
Matt

IronRobi

Explorer
I'm not sure if the v2 is an option. When I bought my system, it came with 2660s, and pairs of 2670s were around $120 shipped. For that price, I couldn't resist. I doubt a 2650 would be a problem, though we don't generally care for "low-power" chips. But yes, the system will be loud.
A pair of 2670s are about double that now from what I'm seeing, which isn't that bad if I find the 2650 to be struggling. And the board does support v2 which opens the door to a whole lot of other processor upgrades if needed.

I appreciate the feedback gentlemen. I sent in a "Best Offer" and will see what I can negotiate on pricing.

IronRobi

Explorer
1. I agree with @danb35. That's a fine box as-is.

2. If you're happy with your current server, have you considered just getting a JBOD enclosure? That way you can use everything you already have while adding an HBA with external ports and the JBOD.

Cheers,
Matt
My current server is just pieced together from old spare parts I had laying around. None of it is server grade components. Doesn't support ECC ram and I have it maxed out at 32gb right now. It's essentially a ticking time bomb.

In that case, go with the Supermicro and don't look back. It is a solid choice.

Cheers,
Matt

IronRobi

Explorer
Thank you gentlemen. Worked out a deal with the seller and the server is ordered. Excited to finally do this the proper way!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Thank you gentlemen. Worked out a deal with the seller and the server is ordered. Excited to finally do this the proper way!
Would you be willing to give details?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I know someone else that bought a unit like that. They are very happy with it except for the sound level. They put it in the room next to the room they have their office in. Not enough sound barrier. I tried to warn them, but I don't think they really got it until they cranked it up.
I know you said it will be in the basement, but let us know how it works out for you.

IronRobi

Explorer
I know someone else that bought a unit like that. They are very happy with it except for the sound level. They put it in the room next to the room they have their office in. Not enough sound barrier. I tried to warn them, but I don't think they really got it until they cranked it up.
I know you said it will be in the basement, but let us know how it works out for you.
I thought I had posted an update to this but I guess not.

Unit arrived and everything was great. The transfer couldn't have been any easier. I put in my drives, put in my USB, changed the static IP on my router and powered it up. It couldn't have been any more turn key than this.

As for the sound, I personally don't find it too bad. Honestly better than I had pictured when ordering it. You can hear it in the basement, but nowhere else in the house. My wife on the other hand says it drives her crazy while she's downstairs on the cardio equipment. She's complaining that she has to turn the TV up to hear it. So of course, happy wife/happy life.

I've ordered a pair of PWS-1K28P-SQ which are the 1,200w power supplies from the super quiet lineup. They should be in next week. I've also changed the fan setting through IPMI from "standard" to "optimal" which really didn't make much of a difference.

So now I'm exploring replacement fan options. The case comes with 7x FAN-0126L4 fans all mounted behind the HDD trays (1 row of 4, 1 row of 3), and no exhaust fans.

I've seen people replacing with 120mm Noctua fans or piecing some things together which is not really something I'm interested in. I'd like to replace with other Supermicro fans. I've seen lots of threads on various boards with people talking about FAN-0074L4 and FAN-0104L4 but the threads all seem to die off after the "I'm going to try putting these in". There doesn't ever seem to be a definitive answer on will they provide enough airflow. Ultimately I'd love to use 7x Fan-0104L4 because they're 24dBa vs the 0126 which are 53.5dBa but I worry there won't be enough static pressure to move the air through. I also worry the FAN-0074L4 won't be enough of a difference to make it quiet enough.

FAN-0126L4
80x80x38
7,000RPM
CFM: 72.5
Static Pressure: 1.09
dBa: 53.5

FAN-0074L4
80x80x38
5,000RPM
CFM: 68.3
Static Pressure: 0.53
dBa: 45

FAN-0104L4
80x80x25
2,800RPM
CFM: 32.9
Static Pressure: 0.14
dBa: 24

For those who have taken this route in the past, what were the final results? Would I be able to run a combination of FAN-0074L4 and FAN-0104L4 to achieve enough cooling? Maybe 4 of 1 and 3 of the other? Should I just order 7x FAN-0074L4 and hope it's quiet enough or 7x FAN-0104L4 and hope there's enough airflow to keep things cool?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

What is your intake temperature? What is your output temperature?

If seven FAN-0126L4s move 508 CFM, and seven FAN-0104L4s move 230 CFM, you could conduct a test by disconnecting half the FAN-0126L4s to give you the comparable CFM of the slower fans. After disconnection, measure the intake and output temperatures. If the temperature rise is acceptable, order the FAN-0104L4s. If not, repeat the experiment modeling the FAN-0074L4s CFM.

Keep in mind that an evenly spread seven fans is likely more effective than half of the higher speed fans. So, if the test is mostly successful, then the slower fans still may be worth a shot.

Cheers,
Matt

IronRobi

Explorer
If seven FAN-0126L4s move 508 CFM, and seven FAN-0104L4s move 230 CFM, you could conduct a test by disconnecting half the FAN-0126L4s to give you the comparable CFM of the slower fans. After disconnection, measure the intake and output temperatures. If the temperature rise is acceptable, order the FAN-0104L4s. If not, repeat the experiment modeling the FAN-0074L4s CFM.
That's actually a pretty good idea, but it won't give me an idea on future proofing either.

I posted this same question on another board and found someone who ran the 0104's and with 20 drives and was getting temps in the 42deg range under load. Meanwhile the 74L4's running at 2800rpm are keeping them around 35deg.

While today I have 8 drives, in the next week or 2 I'll have 16 and likely 24 within the next 12 months. By the time I hit 36 drives I fear the 0104's won't be sufficient and I'll be in a situation of upgrading the fans. I'd rather do it once and be done with it. I think FAN-0074L4 will be the way to go.

While an 8dBa per fan won't make it whisper quiet, it will definitely be quieter than it is today. And if the wife still complains I can look at putting up some insulation on the interior walls and a door to the entry under the steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.