2 part problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been running a comfortable FreeNAS 8.0.3 box for some time now with minimal of problems. I've got a couple problems I just can't seem to iron out...

1.) I can't 'see' the NAS under w7 or xp network explorer. It simply does not show up... I can, however, direct connect to it either through IP or assumed network address (i.e. \\freenas\media)

2.) While trying to figure out the first problem I've developed a new one... I can't alter files once they hit the NAS. I'm told I need permission from the guest account.

Thing is, this is configured for my own personal use. I followed the wiki and established anonymous access, even double checked my settings. Nothing is working. I can move files around and read them all day long, but not edit or delete. I check permissions for the account and my account is set as owner for group and user (guest), with read/write/execute checked across the board.

Side note, on this page if I check set permissions recursively it just sits there after I hit change. If I do anything else EXCEPT check that box, it works as intended.

Tell me what you guys need cause I know I haven't given enough details at this point...

Thanks

Update for you guys: I've been messing with this thing in every way I can think of for the past 2 days and here's what I accomplished.

1) Still can't see the NAS under network explorer in windows

2) Restored write access to files on the NAS. Took trial and error, but here's the short version:
a. Created completely new user/group (i.e. ted)
b. Set ted as the owner of the CIFS shares
c. Went through steps on wiki to change from guest ownership to individual ownership (per user login)
d. Shut machine down
e. Take a shower (optional)
f. Turn machine back on, discover you can't access anything on the NAS anymore / Windows won't connect to it
g. Redo all the steps for setting up anonymous access (using existing volumes/shares/etc)
h. ???
i. I can now read/write to the drives again

At this point I'm prepared to chalk it up to sunspots, but whatever at least it's working again. I'm gonna just leave the first problem alone if I need to go through this everytime...

ghostlobster

Dabbler
IU';m seeing issue number one as well. I posted details about my config here before seeing this. I have absolutely no idea why it's not showing up on any Win7 machines on my network. Hopefully, someone will be able to help us both.

Status
Not open for further replies.