2 2TB Hard Drives from Windows XP Desktop: Import??

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil helm

Cadet
A FreeNAS noob here.. trying to convert my old desktop into NAS. I have a Dell Dimension e510 (yes its old) 2GB RAM 3.4ghz that contains 2 hard drives - 1 is a seagate barracuda 2tb (2013), the other is a western digital 2tb hd (2010). both SATA drives. One has windows xp on it, although i dont recall which one. I recently encountered the inability to boot windows, if that is relevant.

What I want to do is import those two hard drives and make them NAS storage WITHOUT erasing the data on them. They are filled with pictures/music/video/etc. I installed FreeNAS 9.2.1.8 x64 on a Lexar 8GB usb drive, booted up, accessed my UI.. I can see that it recognizes the disks (storage - volumes - view disks) as 2TB each, but when I do an import (select the 2tb drive, and select NTFS - which i think is the right format) they both show up as "UNKNOWN / error getting total space". On the desktop monitor screen i see this error 5 times (retries):

ATA Status: 51 (DRDY SERV ERR) Error: 40 (UNC)

I went through the windows recovery console to check the hard drives, and i get that error code 7 - which if my research is good is benign. when i navigate the folders in the recovery console i see the data is still there.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is the problem that my windows boot is bad? I am not specifically trying to make it ZFS or UFS, I am just trying to make it usable network data.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
A FreeNAS noob here.. trying to convert my old desktop into NAS. I have a Dell Dimension e510 (yes its old) 2GB RAM 3.4ghz that contains 2 hard drives - 1 is a seagate barracuda 2tb (2013), the other is a western digital 2tb hd (2010). both SATA drives. One has windows xp on it, although i dont recall which one. I recently encountered the inability to boot windows, if that is relevant.

What I want to do is import those two hard drives and make them NAS storage WITHOUT erasing the data on them. They are filled with pictures/music/video/etc. I installed FreeNAS 9.2.1.8 x64 on a Lexar 8GB usb drive, booted up, accessed my UI.. I can see that it recognizes the disks (storage - volumes - view disks) as 2TB each, but when I do an import (select the 2tb drive, and select NTFS - which i think is the right format) they both show up as "UNKNOWN / error getting total space". On the desktop monitor screen i see this error 5 times (retries):

ATA Status: 51 (DRDY SERV ERR) Error: 40 (UNC)

I went through the windows recovery console to check the hard drives, and i get that error code 7 - which if my research is good is benign. when i navigate the folders in the recovery console i see the data is still there.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is the problem that my windows boot is bad? I am not specifically trying to make it ZFS or UFS, I am just trying to make it usable network data.
Your hardware won't work for FreeNAS. Too little RAM. You'll need to look into either different hardware or a different OS.

Also, using NTFS on *nix long-term is a recipe for disaster. You could try booting in some sort of linux live enviroment, BartPE, or something else and copying your files off the hard drives to external media (i.e. a USB HDD).

phil helm

Cadet
Your hardware won't work for FreeNAS. Too little RAM. You'll need to look into either different hardware or a different OS.

Also, using NTFS on *nix long-term is a recipe for disaster. You could try booting in some sort of linux live enviroment, BartPE, or something else and copying your files off the hard drives to external media (i.e. a USB HDD).
I see this directly from the FreeNAS user guide:

"If you only plan to use UFS, you may be able to get by with as little as 2GB of RAM. "

I do understand that this is the bare minimum, so I accept the potential issues (assume this is related to performance?). Are the errors I am seeing directly related to the amount of RAM ? If so, is the user guide inaccurate?
What does WindowsXP have to do with this? Arent we just talking about data on disk?

Last edited:

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I see this directly from the FreeNAS user guide:

"If you only plan to use UFS, you may be able to get by with as little as 2GB of RAM. "

I do understand that this is the bare minimum, so I accept the potential issues (assume this is related to performance?). Are the errors I am seeing directly related to the amount of RAM ? If so, is the user guide inaccurate?
What does WindowsXP have to do with this? Arent we just talking about data on disk?

UFS support is going away. Soon.

The errors you see are probably related to using ntfs drives. Ntfs is only to be used to get data OFF of a drive, not to be used for read/write.
XP had absolutely nothing to do with this.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
To sum up the other comments, if you want to use UFS you should just find another OS. UFS is gone and in less than 60 days you'll *have* to use ZFS, which means 8GB of RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.