2, 1TB nvme. Make 64GB boot partition and use the rest for cache?

nicwn

Cadet
I'm new to TrueNAS Scale. Got a N5105 board with 2 nvme slots and 6 SATA. I'm trying to set up the nvme drives as mirrors, partitioning a 64GB portion for boot and use the rest for cache. Data pools will be created on SATA. Does this setup make sense? If so, what would be the best way to go about doing it?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Does this setup make sense?
No.

joeschmuck

Old Man

nicwn

Cadet
No.

Aha, I see. The target customers (paying ones) are enterprise users, so these small scale features are not on the roadmap. Got it. I guess I'll have to choose no. 4 then! LOL!

Found a thread that made partitioning the boot drive pretty easy: https://gist.github.com/gangefors/2029e26501601a99c501599f5b100aa6 (For reference.)

joeschmuck

Old Man
It is easy to partition the drive, I have done it many years ago (in the early FreeNAS days) just to see if it could be done, and of course it could. SSDs cost a bit more back then. The only real problem is when someone does it and then runs into problems, be it right away or 2 years down the road. They start asking questions about how to fix something that is not supported and all we can tell them is you are on your own. Well most of us will still try to help if we can but I think you get the point.