BUILD 1U colocation considerations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roman

Explorer
That's a very generous offer. I don't want to be a hassle. My concern is simply whether it's compatible with Firefox on OS X. I'm under the impression it's Java based? Some applets are finicky even if they are platform-agnostic...
Supermicro's latest Console Redirection does not work too well with OS X. Screen preview works. The Java tool works but only viewing and key/mouse control. Virtual storage does not work; application hangs and crashes finally. Power control within the Java tools doesn't work either, no effect. Under Windows everything works 100% though.

Here, this one, it was just all gone. There were bits stuck to the heatsink.
It's called core meltdown, I guess. I hope, no radioactive material escaped … Probably made in Fukushima. :eek:

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
So, Java is slow, incompatible, bloated, filled with dubious design decisions and annoyingly widespread. It's easy to forget it's only partially Oracle's fault!

Roman

Explorer
I've always wondered why almost all remote management tools are implemented in Java if they only function under Windows. They could as well use .NET. It's not that Microsoft doesn't provide network libraries.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Under Windows everything works 100% though.

I'm going to roll my eyes at that one. I spend a fair bit of my life battling the stupid web/Java/idiotic technologies used by tech companies to manage their products, and I can tell you that there are often dependencies on Internet Exploder, Firefox, Chrome, Adobe Flash, and sometimes even specific versions of stuff, such as all the Java 7 stuff that busted when Java 8 first came out (which is one of the reasons I'm still running Java 7 I think).

I do realize you were talking specifically about Supermicro but I thought I'd just take an opportunity to vent. ;-)

Roman

Explorer
This craziness took place e. g. with the Gen7 MicroServer and its BMC. But there are many other examples where only IE6 etc. is supported.

Roman

Explorer
I have an old game from the 90s. You cannot read its html documentation without IE4 or 5. It checks this via JavaScript. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.