16x HDDs - Help choosing the right config

stratsan

Cadet
Hi everyone,

Total noob with TrueNAS and even more with Linux here. A couple of month ago, I had to replaced my old Qnap NAS (TS-832X). It was kind of an emergency so I built a server with the HW laying around. Here is the actual setup:

TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.0.1
Ryzen 9 5900X
128GB DDR4 3200
Asus TUF Gaming X570 Plus
Asus XG-C100C
3x 4-Port SATA cards
1x SATA SSD (boot pool)
2x NVMe 1TB
2x SATA SSDs 2TB
12x HDDs 8TB

At that time, I knew nothing about ZFS... I know it's bad but well. I created a few pools:

- 2x NVMe 1TB - Mirror - pool for apps and VMs
- 12x HDDs 8TB - RAIDZ2 - storage pool (SMB, Torrent, Plex)
- 2x SATA SSDs 2TB - Mirror - Nextcloud storage

The problem is with the storage pool. I understood later that it was not like a simple RAID6, that it was a poor configuration choice and the performance sucks (which is quite obvious from what I learned since that).
I am willing to rebuild that pool from scratch. I am also willing to sacrifice raw storage for better performance and redundancy. I would like to had 4x 14TB drives that are actually unused. The thing is that I would like one easily expandable big pool. I have read many threads but I still can't decide what would be the most relevant setup in my case.
I thought about two options: 3x Data VDEVs - Mirror - 4 wide - with the 12x 8TB + 1x Data VDEVs - Mirror - 4 wide - with the 4x 14TB
(BTW, just to confirm, if 2 disks fail at the same time in the same VDEV, it is still safe, right?)
From what I understood, this would give me the best IOPS at the cost of the storage. Another option would be 4x RAIDZ1 - 4 wide, much better for storage but performance would drop. I didn't really understood how L2ARC works but could a pair of 1TB SATA SSD help in this case?

Could you folks share your inputs on this? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!