SOLVED 11.2 SMB Permissions Issue

mohican

Cadet
I am not a nix user. I am aware that my lack of knowledge is the culprit. I installed FreeNas 11.2 u4.1 with intentions of it being a home server. I configured a storage location (smb) that houses my movie and audio files that are used with plex. It was accessible for read and write access via my windows pcs. After many unsuccessful attempts to upgrade the plex plugin via information from numerous threads, I attempted copy and paste some iocage scripts. I did this for NZBget as well. All of them failed at some point. I started reading the messages and looking at the scripts to figure out the issue. Unfortunately, I made the same incorrect modifications to the last two scripts that I tried. I modified the mnt paths in the fstab lines. This seemed to make sense and removed the final errors. Now, I am unable to get past a permissions issue on two of the folder paths that I added the iocage scripts.

Code:
Examples:
iocage fstab -a nzbget /mnt/NAS/Storage/Downloads /config nullfs rw 0 0
iocage fstab -a plex //mnt/NAS/Storage/Downloads /Media nullfs rw 0 0
iocage exec plex chown -R plex:plex /config

You require permission from Unix User\972 to make changes to this folder
(I do not see this UID in the user's group)

The jails did not work. In an attempt to remove these permissions on my folders I deleted that NZBget and Plex jails restarted FreeNas. The permissions issues still remain. I am about 18 hours into trying to resolve this issue. I can only read files. I cannot add or delete from the folders. Will reverting to a previous configuration file remove the newly added permissions to the folders? I am starting to read about chmod and chown. Can either resolve the issue? My google searches have returned many results but all seemed a little different. I would do a fresh install and start over but that would destroy the folders. I could be completely wrong about the issue. Any assistance will be appreciated. Thank you.

mohican

mohican

Cadet
I have tried some additional options chown and chmod. Unsuccessful. Changed dataset owner to nobody and group to nogroup. Unsuccessful.
Apply permissions recursively made things worse as I lost write access to all folders. I tried the following without success or knowledge of how to make it useful.
Code:
find . -type f -exec setfacl -b {} \;
find . -type d -exec setfacl -b {} \;
Finally, I reset my configuration from the day after install. This did not have the impact that I expected. It does not appear to have touched permissions, users, or groups. Jails and everything appears the same. Unfortunately, I wanted to have the configuration in place before setting up a backup such as Backblaze. I seem to be able to copy movie and audio files to another computer. Once complete I will be able to blow away this install. I may take the week and decide if I will revisit this or try another homeserver option.
Thanks,

Snow

Patron
You would need to use a snap shot to have the permission reset. You should be using the GUI to set all or any permission. Best advice I can give is use a snap shot of when it was be for you where in the Dir and change things. Then use the GUI to set the stuff up you need. Some reading is need to understand how to do this. You can add user's and groups with your own UID, Also you can add different users with the same UID.

Freenas starters guide
Permission Video

f6c0cbca_FreeNASPermissionSetupDiagrambyFreeNASForummembersilentmonolith.jpeg
This image belongs to silentmonolith from the FreeNAS forum.

Last edited:

mohican

Cadet
You would need to use a snap shot to have the permission reset. You should be using the GUI to set all or any permission. Best advice I can give is use a snap shot of when it was be for you where in the Dir and change things. Then use the GUI to set the stuff up you need. Some reading is need to understand how to do this. You can add user's and groups with your own UID, Also you can add different users with the same UID.

Freenas starters guide
Permission Video

View attachment 31283
This image belongs to silentmonolith from the FreeNAS forum.
Thank you! I went step by step through the guide and I now have full read/write access again. I also set up some maintenance and backup packages. Thank you....

Snow

Patron
Welcome