11.2 console screen weirdness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Good morning,
When my FreeNAS recently became non-responsive via the web interface, I had a look at the unit via the console built into the AsRock C2750 board. This console has served me well in the past. The status interface acknowledged that the network connections were gone (I didn't investigate this further just yet) because something else caught my eye:

The first three letters on the screen were missing in every row. It's as if the screen resolution / setting was wrong. I managed to reset the network interfaces, rebooted the switch for good measure and then rebooted the machine.

The initial boot screens for everything fit as usual - Chelsio 10GBe card, ASRock rack, etc. boot screens flashed by until I got to the (new to me) FreeNAS ASCII art screen with various boot options listed. So far, all the type, etc. fit in the screen.

It's only AFTER the ASCII art screen that suddenly the type is offset three digits over, hiding them from view. For example, once FreeNAS is fully booted and the console menu comes up with it's 11 options, none of the menu numbers are visible.

What could be causing this change in resolution / display setup and can I program the FreeNAS to behave better?

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Somewhere along the line, after the FreeBSD boot menu, during FreeNAS software load, the resolution is changed to a resolution that doesn't work properly. I have this problem on my Supermicro IPMI management console also. I have opened support tickets on this at least twice about this and I keep getting told it is something I am doing wrong. I got tired of complaining about it. If they would just leave it alone, and not change the resolution, it would be fine, like it is on the Boot Menu, but they are setting a resolution somewhere that is not valid and can't be displayed properly.
It needs to be a bug report because it is something they must fix in software as they have removed our ability to edit the resolution of the text console.

PS. On my console, it chops off the last line instead of the left side, so it is similar but not exactly the same problem.

v11.1-console.PNG

Redcoat

MVP
Good morning,

The first two letters on the screen were missing in every row. It's as if the screen resolution / setting was wrong. I managed to reset the network interfaces, rebooted the switch for good measure and then rebooted the machine.

The initial boot screens for everything fit as usual - Chelsio 10GBe card, ASRock rack, etc. boot screens flashed by until I got to the (new to me) FreeNAS ASCII art screen with various boot options listed. So far, all the type, etc. fit in the screen. It's only AFTER the ASCII art screen that suddenly the type is offset three digits over, hiding them from view. For example, once FreeNAS is fully booted and the console menu comes up with it's 11 options, none of the menu numbers are visible.
Thanks for this, I saw it too on my C2750's IPMI console but thought I must have been mistaken and moved on.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Thanks for this, I saw it too on my C2750's IPMI console but thought I must have been mistaken and moved on.
I think it is a bug, and I reported it, but they didn't take me seriously. If enough other people complain, maybe it will get fixed.

Constantin

Vampire Pig

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Redcoat

MVP
I rebooted a couple of times here intending to capture what I am sure I saw in the first boot up after installing 11.2 RELEASE - but, if indeed I ever did see it, it's not happening now... I put a note on the bug report.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I haven't noticed anything wrong on my Supermicro boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.