11.1 > 11.1U1 upgrade failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubnetMask

Contributor
I've tried twice now to update my FreeNAS 11.1 to 11.1 U1, and both times it's failed. In the Web UI, it hangs at 'Installing base-os (1/5)', and on the console, I get a bunch of 'CAM status: CCB request completed with an error' messages (and it's mostly unresponsive). I did some searching around and it seems like there is some kind of 'issue' with 16GB Sandisk Cruzer Fit USB drives and FreeNAS, as those seem to be mentioned a lot related to this issue (and that happens to be what I'm using) on a pretty diverse range of hardware, and it seems to go back as far as FreeNAS 9. It also seems that pretty much everyone that has seen these issues and has tested the drives has found them to be error free. I then tried to upgrade it from a bootable USB by creating a new boot environment (essentially the same as upgrading from the UI), rather than formatting it and I got the same issue. I then tried again, but this time, I told it 'Upgrade', then 'Format Boot Volume'. This time, it went perfectly. Everything copied fine, it migrated the settings, and upon first boot, it created the 'Initial Install' boot environment and all seems well.

If anyone has any other thoughts or info that I missed, I'd like to hear it, otherwise, hopefully this might be another bit of useful info for someone.

D

dlavigne

How much space is left on the boot device (System -> Boot)?

SubnetMask

Contributor
I don't know what it was prior to upgrading via formatting it, but as of now, it's 14.5GB usable with a whopping 833MB in use, so plenty of free space. I can't imagine that much, if any, more space would have been consumed prior (I loaded this particular USB drive up with 11.1 about two weeks ago to jump from a 8GB unit to the 16GB and restored my saved config to it).

Last edited:

fmajowich

Cadet
I'm having the same issue. In the Web UI, it hangs at 'Installing base-os (1/5)'. However, I don't have the CAM errors on the console. I have ~10gb free on my boot device. I'm not using Sandisk Cruzer Fit. Tried twice, same results. What logs should I review to get more information?

fmajowich

Cadet
Doing the upgrade from the CLI worked for me.

freenas-update -v check && freenas-update --reboot -v update

rm-r

Contributor
Doing the upgrade from the CLI worked for me.

freenas-update -v check && freenas-update --reboot -v update

this worked for me too, thank you! but only after i deleted some Boot Environments - error needs to be clearer i think if its due to lack of disk space

Status
Not open for further replies.