10gbe noob questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

zejohn

Dabbler
Hi there,

I would like to install a 10gbe card into my freenas system. I'm running 9.10 and have a few questions:

1) I use a mac so I'll have to get a 10gbe to thunderbolt adapter. Is setting up with a mac <-> thudnerbolt to 10gbe adapter <-> freenas possible? This will be a direct connection with no switch/router in the middle because that's expensive
2) What parts should I use? everywhere on the internet says to use the chelsio card and SFP plug?
3) Will it be possible for me to access the internet and my freenas files at the same time? How do I tell my mac to connect to the files via local 10gbe plug and the internet at the same time?

Thanks!

chris crude

Patron
Hi there,

I would like to install a 10gbe card into my freenas system. I'm running 9.10 and have a few questions:

1) I use a mac so I'll have to get a 10gbe to thunderbolt adapter. Is setting up with a mac <-> thudnerbolt to 10gbe adapter <-> freenas possible? This will be a direct connection with no switch/router in the middle because that's expensive
2) What parts should I use? everywhere on the internet says to use the chelsio card and SFP plug?
3) Will it be possible for me to access the internet and my freenas files at the same time? How do I tell my mac to connect to the files via local 10gbe plug and the internet at the same time?

Thanks!
1. I know nothing about apple and thunderbolt, but yes you can direct connect with no switch in between.
2. I don't in know hardware for Mac
3. You keep everything the same on your internet connection you need to invent a new network subnet for the addon cards. Once you add the card to FreeNas you give it an address, and give the interface on Mac an address in same network. If you currently have 192.168.1.xxx as network addresses you could invent anything else like 10.10.10.xxx. You can access the FreeNAS and map your shares to the new 10GB address

nojohnny101

Wizard
Status
Not open for further replies.