10Gbe Card - Spotty functionalty

Status
Not open for further replies.

jschmok

Dabbler
Hi All,

I'm running Freenas 11 with a HP NC550SFP 10Gb card in it. It was running fine up until today. From my windows PC I'm unable to even ping the address when THE ISSUE occurs:

Windows PC = 10.10.10.1
FreeNAS Box = 10.10.10.2

I have a SFP+ cable direct connected from my Windows PC (with the same NIC) to the FreeNAS box.

If I reboot the FreeNAS box, it boots up, I can ping 10.10.10.2 no problem and transfer files. Then suddenly on the FreeNAS box you will see a message that pops up that says: 'oce1: UE: CEV bit set'

Can't push enter or anything, it's as if the computer is frozen up. For reference, oce1 is the interface for my 10gb card .... what the heck does CEV bit set refer to? Please help!

I see a link to that part of the driver code here. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...oce/oce_if.c&usg=AOvVaw2grVAVN-pc-RPLS-AQS0Tt
I couldn't find anything more useful. I would guess that it is either a problem with the card, or the Twinax/DAC cable. I have played around with cards using the oce driver, but never had any in production. Do you still get the error in FreeNAS if you switch the physical cards between machines? Also, it would be helpful (and follow forum rules) if you listed you FreeNAS version and complete hardware config.

jschmok

Dabbler
Thanks for the response @Elliot Dierksen .... I'm a bit new to the world of FreeNAS, how would I use that? I'm now getting alot more 'bit set' messages in the console. See attached:

Attachments

• 20181213_231656.jpg
    20181213_231656.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 244

jschmok

Dabbler
So..... the problem has been..... (I'm hesitant to say it) solved? I've been able to transfer 3TB of data without a single 'bit set' error message... in multiple instances (1TB here, 1.3TB next instance etc...)

What I did was physically swap cards. The 10Gbe card that was in my Windows 10 box, is now in my FreeNAS box and vice versa.
In addition, I reinstalled FreeNAS. After performing this work I realized, I should've done the swap first to see if it fixes... then if not reinstall. At this point I'm not sure which of the 2 'fixed' the problem....

Anyway, this issue is done.... now I'm having 1gpbs performance through my 10gbps line. I'll take that one to a new thread though. Thanks @Elliot Dierksen for the suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.