10GB en. Fast IPerf, slow data transfers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urglefloggah

Cadet
Hi all,

I’ve just built a FreeNAS box to replace my Netgear NAS.

The hardware is all new: HP Proliant ML10, 12Gbyte of compatible DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel G4400 processor and 2x WD 1Terrabye Red drives as a stripe, with another to be added as parity when it arrives.

Once set up and running satisfactory with FreeNAS 11, I added a used Mellanox ConnectX-2 card to the pci8 port, and one to my workstation running Debian 9. These are configured on a separate subnet and talk to each other fine.

The problem I have is that while running iperf gives a transfer rate of 9.85-9.89 Gbits / sec, when I transfer files over this connection I rarely achieve 150kbits/sec. After much faffing about with settings and jumbo packets, very little has changed. The only thing left I can think of is a driver problem, and I will try my Workstation this weekend with Ubuntu 16.04 with the latest driver from Mellanox (there is no official Debian 9 driver, only what’s inbuilt into the OS).

Can anyone offer any useful insights?

Thanks,
Nik.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dlavigne

How are you transferring the files? What is the output of ifconfig?

Urglefloggah

Cadet
I’ve tried NFS, AFP and Samba, with AFP being slightly faster. ifconfig shows 9000 byte frames and a 10000Kb connection.

Last night I tried another copper cable and Ubuntu 16.04 on my workstation with the most recent drivers. The result was slightly faster at around 160Mb read and 125Mb write.

joeschmuck

Old Man
How about small file sizes and fragmentation is causing some of the pain you are feeling?

Status
Not open for further replies.