1 SSD for OS, ZIL, and ARC2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh_the_dosh

Dabbler
Hey, I'm planning on building a NAS and I have a question regarding SSD's used with Freenas.
I have a spare 64GB SLC Samsung SSD and would like to use it with my NAS build (which doesnt exist yet). I know that FreeNAS is meant to run from a USB drive, but I'd rather not have a flashdrive with my OS sticking out of my NAS. So, can I install the OS on an SSD? And can the ZIL, and the ARC2 be on th very same SSD?
Thanks!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
No.. no and no.

You cant use the OS drive for anything else except the OS. Using an SSD for an OS that is loaded into RAM on bootup is a waste of an SSD.

You also shouldn't put the ZIL and L2ARC on the same disk. It makes both suck balls.

You also shouldn't be adding an L2ARC or a ZIL unless you can prove it will benefit(hint: I can bet you $1000 it probably won't!)

You also should be mirroring your ZIL to 2 devices.

You should avail yourself of this opportunity to stop and read the manual and my noobie guide before continuing. ;) All of those answers are in those 2 locations.

Josh_the_dosh

Dabbler
You are completely correct; I was just being lazy but now I have read your guide and it has answered my questions! Sorry for just posting without doing research first, I'll try to avoid doing that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.