SSD's for ZIL as VMWARE virtual Drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattlach

Patron
Hey all,

The box I will be running FreeNAS on is a VMWare ESXi server.

FreeNAS will be a guest with the storage controller forwarded to it for direct native access to the drives.

I have read about putting the ZIL on SSD's to speed up the array, and was curious about experimenting with it.

Question is, can I do with with virtual drives?

The ESXi server that will be hosting FreeNAS already has two SSD's in it. One it just boots off of, and one it uses as a datastore for other guests.

If I were to create a small 10 GB virtual drive file on each SSD and present them to my FreeNAS guest, could I mirror them (for security from loss) and use them for my ZIL in FreeNAS, or does ZFS require native access to the drives for this?

Much obliged,
Matt

pbucher

Contributor
Matt,

I once had used a small virtual drive on my ESXi 5.0u1 boot SSD for a period of time to enhance performance without problem. I moved onto other methods to increase performance since this didn't seem to be the best of ideas for a production setup. But it will work as a ZIL device and does increase performance similar to a real SSD drive.

-Paul

mattlach

Patron
Paul,

Thank you very much for the feedback on your experiences!

At this point, in order to get up and running without much expense I am probably going to try this, and then add individual SSD's at a later date!

--Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.