1 rsync task not working

William Bravin

Contributor
I am new to rsync and i am trying to figure it out.

i read thorough other rsync posts and i still do not see a solution for me.

i re-posted it here because in an rsync forum i was getting no traction.... sorry for this

I run 2 freenas servers. both running 11.3 u2. (through the GUI) I built 4 identical tasks, all scheduled, but for the moment i run them now. All the ACL for the data sets and the shared on both servers are owned by myself (wbravin) with full control.

the tasks are for backing up my documents, my music, movies and tv shows. All tasks are simple

all task with the exception of the one for tv shows work well, when i go to run the task for tvs hows it fails. So what could be wrong?

the data set and the shared are tagged as tv shows the acl is wbravin

my path is /mnt/media/tv shows
in my remote host field i put the target server IP 192.168.1.248 which is my second server
in the remote module mane field i insert tv shows

i repeat, all the other rsync tasks are built the same and they work

I do not know how to get to the logs to identify the problem. How do i get them?

can anyone please help

thank you

Last edited:

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
It's probably the space in the path between tv and shows that's the problem. Look in /var/log for the logs.

William Bravin

Contributor
|Thank you for your prompt reply

tv shows is the name of my dataset and is the name used for my smb share. I am getting an error when trying to access /var/log/. it is telling me that permission denied (This is a new issue)
thank you

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
/var/log is restricted to root. Login to the web UI as root, and select Shell on the left. This will open a CLI pane where you can run commands as root.

William Bravin

Contributor
thank for responding I always login into the UI as root automatically. For sake of trying i physically typed root as my user and freenas as my password to no avail.