RSync Task Issues

William Bravin

Contributor
Hello all

I'm new to rsync . I have 2 Freenas server. Server A is my primary server and server B my backup. In both servers i have installed freenas 11.2 u5.
On Server A
I have activated rsync on both servers and added 2 rsync modules
i built 2 simple tasks to "push" data from server A to Server B

On server B
I did the same as above with the exception that the tasks "pull"

in 2 occasions i ran the tasks (push and pull) manually and they worked I could see in the "display system Process" (DSP) Rsync running and on the dashboard i see the network traffic speed rising.

On sunday i wanted to run the tasks again in 2 occasions manually, freenas tells me the task is running but no task is running in dsp. and no network activity.

On Monday I try again and this time i run both tasks at the same time (both push and pull) and there is activity.

Only this time instead of adding data to server b and updating it it deleted all data on server B

I immediately copy and pasted (manually )all data from server a to B..

what did i do wrong?

Thank you

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You probably don't need both sides to run the jobs, just push from one or pull from the other.

Perhaps that's already enough to try and see if it goes more like you expect.

Remember that rsync will be incremental, so subsequent runs after the first completed one will be short (depending on the changed data between the runs).

William Bravin

Contributor
Hello all

I progressed with building an rsync task I have 4 datasets *Documents movies, music. and tv shows) for each dataset i have a task. All datasets have the same owner (me) as UID wbravin group wheel all with basic and full control. all work perfectly on time with the exception of my rsynck task for the tv shows. Every time i run it it fails.

I tried to change ownership of the dataset to root (because i log on to freenas as such) to no avail.
I diligently copied all the acl setting from the other tasks to paper and then copied them to the tv show acl again to no avail.

How do i eliminate all acl settings in this tv show dataset?

I am the only user od this environment and i would like to make it simpler for my self

Thank you

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
When it "fails", what are you seeing? can you find anything in /var/logs/messages to explain more detail?

What method are you using to change ownership and set permissions? (remembering that recursive application of those will most likely be necessary)

Do you have the same user with the same USER ID (not just the same user name) on both systems?... that may simplify your life and negate the need for permission changes.

William Bravin

Contributor
Hello sretalla

sorry it took so long to get back to you. I' in the initial phases of finishing my media room which will be finished by end of september

1) as soon as i create the rsync task for the "tv shows" and run it i get a message saying that the task started then it fails (fail to run rsync task to 192.168.1.104 (which is my primary server(

2) i go to the menu and select "edit ALC", Like in all other (working rsync tasks for other datasets ) the owner user is wbravin (me the one and only userof the system) the group is wheel and the recursive check box is ticked.

In addition i added a second ACL item a user wbravin with a basic permission type and permission set to full control. and flags inherit.

3) there is a user on both system called wbravin with a main group wheel and additional groups Emby, useronegroup, wbravin, guest, media, nobody, nogroup, wheel identical on both servers.
I even tried to

both servers i log into as root and freenas

Thank you mate for all your time and help

sretalla