[0.9.17.2] Jun 10th Plex Pass PMS Update Breaks Plex

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosBlades

Contributor
My FreeNAS just updated plex to 0.9.17.2 and now PMS won't start. Error below, any idea on the fix other than a rollback? Not even sure how to do that.

PMS 0.9.17.2 changelog: https://plex.tv/downloads/1/archive

Code:
Jun 11, 2016 09:18:04.775 [0x809007400] INFO - Plex Media Server v0.9.17.2.2159-2bd156c - FreeBSD PC amd64 - build: freebsd-x86_64 unknown
Jun 11, 2016 09:18:04.775 [0x809007400] INFO - FreeBSD version: 10.3-STABLE (FreeBSD 10.3-STABLE #0 1a8180b(9.10-STABLE): Tue Jun  7 13:16:10 PDT 2016     root@build.ixsystems.com:/tank/home/nightlies/build-freenas9/_BE/objs/tank/home/nightlies/build-freenas9/_BE/trueos/sys/FreeNAS.amd64)
Jun 11, 2016 09:18:04.775 [0x809007400] INFO - Processor AMD Opteron(TM) Processor 6276              
Jun 11, 2016 09:18:04.776 [0x809006400] ERROR - FATAL ERROR: Codecs: Initialize: 'boost::filesystem::create_directories: Permission denied: "/var/db/plexdata/Plex/Codecs"'

Edit: More Info: https://github.com/mstinaff/PMS_Updater/issues/14

Edit2: Did this to fix it. Probably not the best way to go about it but until someone directs us that understands permissions more than I it works.

Go to your plex jail in the GUI and open a Shell (Button at the bottom after selecting the plex jail. Enter the following...
Code:
service plexmediaserver onestop
chown -R root:wheel /var/db/plexdata
sysrc 'plexmediaserver_user=root'
service plexmediaserver start

Last edited:

adrianwi

Guru
I had tried to install 0.9.17.1 in a separate jail (leaving 0.9.16.6 working fine in another) but I couldn't even get the service to start and after little feedback from the Plex forum deleted it. They have upgraded the transcoding engine which means it's probably best to just stick with the stable version for a few Plexpass versions whilst other poor soles go through the pain for you ;)

AstroZombie

Explorer
I just had this happen except it was a signal 6 error.

Deleted the plugin and re-downloaded and it now works but now i'm back on 0.9.16.6.

Only problem I know have to re-do all my shares and fix the plexupdate script as now it's gone for future updating. :mad:

Thankfully plexemail and plexwatch are unaffected.

bsmack

Cadet
Code:
service plexmediaserver onestop
chown -R root:wheel /var/db/plexdata
sysrc 'plexmediaserver_user=root'
service plexmediaserver start

How long did it take to run the chown command? Mine has been running for a few minutes. Is that normal?

EDIT: The command finished, needed about 6 minutes to run. I have all my plugins installed in the same jail and none of them are starting (sonarr, sabnzbd, plex, couchpotato). If anyone has any tips to get my plug-ins up and running again it would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT2: Tried running this set of commands for all of my plugins, still no luck. I started all the services in the jail shell and they seem to be running (trying service xxx start again says the process is already running) but they don't show that they are in the plugins section of the FreeNAS GUI. Was able to very briefly connect to the sabnzbd after starting it but it stopped working after about 5 seconds.

EDIT3: Ran FreeNAS updates because they haven't been run in a while, rebooted the server, and all of my plug-ins started. I have no idea why. Hopefully this helps someone.

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
It would be better to just change the ownership of the /var/db/plexdata, than to change plex's user to root.
Code:
chown -R plex:plex /var/db/plexdata

I assume the update script is writing something there that the plex service doesn't hae permissions to write to.

xxsj

Dabbler
Well I'm afraid I might lose access to my library indefinitely. Ever since they moved the server aspect to be separate from the web client, I've been afraid of a moment like this. I can access the web client but not the server settings...

[I like those above upgraded to 0.9.17.2 using PMS Updater]

Why the f--k is there still not a way to import/export standard format configuration files for freenas jails? Snapshots never work.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
does the following allow plex to work?
Code:
install -d -o plex "/var/db/plexdata/Plex"

adrianwi

Guru
I managed to do a clean install of 0.9.17.2 into a jail and it appears to be working fine. It really is only a few lines at the CLI and I'd recommend it to anyone over using the plugin.

Status
Not open for further replies.