‘boot-pool’ has encountered an uncorrectable I/O failure

Simon89

Cadet
Hey everyone,

I’m having an issue with my TrueNAS setup after a power cut at home today.

Z77-D3H
24GB 1600mhz
128 SK Hynix boot drive
3x 2TB HDDs

I’ve attached a photo of the error I’m getting. If someone could walk me through some steps to try and revive the system I’d appreciate that as I’m very new to TrueNAS.

Thanks
Simon

Attachments

• 202547AC-4DFB-4EB9-9397-0836434A6C36.jpeg
    202547AC-4DFB-4EB9-9397-0836434A6C36.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 270

NugentS

MVP
You do have a backup of the config file don't you?
If you do, replace the disk and reinstall

If you don't (why not?) and I think there is a copy on the system dataset somewhere

Simon89

Cadet
If I'm honest I don't and wasn't aware that it would be such a good idea to.

However, after turning the machine off and checking all connections etc it seems to be running okay now?

I'll be sure to do a backup of that file now. I assume that if the SSD were to be dead, I could reinstall TrueNAS onto a new SSD and restore that file and things should start working again?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
If I'm honest I don't and wasn't aware that it would be such a good idea to.

Yeah, and this is why. This is documented all over the place, but who reads docs? (no I'm not trolling/sarcastic). The upside to TrueNAS is that all the important configuration bits are in the database, and as long as you have a copy of it, you can easily replace boot devices and recover with just the new boot device and a copy of your database (config). It's also very helpful to set aside a copy of the installed TrueNAS, burn a disc or whatever.

Treat this as a learning experience and make copies of the config and install ISO. It can make your life easier down the road.

Simon89

Cadet
I definitely spoke too soon - just tried logging into the GUI and nothing. Just connected a monitor back up and the SSD has detached again. I will persevere to get it up and running again, in the mean time I'm going to buy a new replacement SSD.

Are these instances the liklihood of failing SSD controllers? It was an SSD from a Dell laptop that was replaced for a larger capacity a few years back.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yes, SSD's can be subpar or pre-fail. I've gotten snobbier over the years as SSD's have become more affordable. I've blown through a bunch of OCZ and Intel 535 (Sandforce controller) which tend to fail catastrophically (just vanish), and now I tend to use the low end Samsung Evo's or WD Blue's (relabeled SanDisk). A lot of older SSD's have obscure bugs and sometimes a firmware update will fix them.

Simon89

Cadet
I remember in 2012 I bought a couple of OCZ Vertex SSDs and they didn't last at all. I'm going to have a play about after work and try get it to boot and pull that config file off.

Simon89

Cadet
Got it up and running, managed to download the config file. Put a new 250GB SSD in and installed the latest version of TrueNAS. All working now, thanks for support @jgreco